Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tiny little bubbles floating aroun in my tank

Hi Everybody,
I'm a new member just registered I found this site trying to find out if the tiny bubbles floating around in my aquarium is normal or harmful. I noticed them coming from my protein skimmer. I have a 58 gallon tank with a fluval 305 filter 2 power heads inside the tank and a hanging protein skimmer on the back of my tank. Everything in my tank looks great I have 3 fish a star and a cleaner shrimp in it. My tank is a new set up 2 months now.

Dan

Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard Dan. I`m going to move this to the getting started forum so more people will see it.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanx Mike
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have little micro bubbles floating around also but it does not seem to bother anyone in the tank so I just let it go. I think it comes from my skimmer also.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Do you have a lot of them cause in mine it seems I a whole lot my water seems clear though
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind/brand of skimmer is it? Does it have any type of sponge to act as a bubble trap somewhere along it's output flow?

If you just added the skimmer, sometimes it can take them a couple weeks to "break in" and stop producing the microbubbles. For the most part, they're not harmful. If you get a ton of them, the bubbles can build up on the underside of *some* hard SPS corals and irritate them.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ha Ha, curse of the protein skimmer!!! I hate those little things. I deal with them coming from my skimmer for a day or so after shutting it off for PWCs. If you have an Octopus skimmer, that ugly blue bubble arrester works pretty good if you can stand looking at it.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

An in-sump skimmer in the first chamber at least has the bubble traps to help alleviate that problem. I never see micro bubbles unless I'm feeding and the one ph creates a vortex pulls air down into the tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, bubbles, floating, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com