Tips on buying rock substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windward side

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I can't seem to find any of the really large synthetic rock structures anywhere. The wife wants the aquarium looking a lot better - currently it is a collection of disjointed dead coral pieces. I'm looking for something big that will make a statement and haven't seen anything online or in my local shops. Any info is appreciated.

I am considering live rock but size is still an issue unless I guess I glue them together.

There was link to a thread on another forum posted here not too long ago. He took eggcrate and made the structures that he wanted. Then attached LR rubble. When I get a chance I'll look around. Maybe someone else remembers where it was. I'm guessing maybe RC somewhere.

Or you can always go the DIY rock route. There's a thread or 2 here in the DIY section and all over the net

Last edited:
No stores near you that sell lr? When setting up a new tank, I'd travel 2-3 hrs to see what I'm getting to ensure some larger pcs. I'd even stack them in the store to see how well they work. I've heard of mail order places that you can work with closely to get some quality larger pcs too. I'm guessing that costs a lot though.

No stores huh?

If you want to start with base rock you can get a good deal at reefcleaners.org I am sure if you email John Maloney he will actually be able to tell you just how big the pieces are. With a little time it will start growing coraline algae on them.

Back
Top Bottom