Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you are getting an air bubble, the flow is too little. Turn UP the pump, not down. What is your overflow rated for and what is your current pump?
It has nothing at all to do with the height of the water in the DT. That should never change if the sump is running. All fluctuations will happen in the return area of the sump.
There is rhyme and reason.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
If you are getting an air bubble, the flow is too little. Turn UP the pump, not down. What is your overflow rated for and what is your current pump?
It has nothing at all to do with the height of the water in the DT. That should never change if the sump is running. All fluctuations will happen in the return area of the sump.
There is rhyme and reason.
Ok, thks! I will need to find that out about the return as I bought this set up used. The pump is 640GPH for a 75g tank. How can I find out my overflow rate? Maybe I should try cleaning out the tube to the sump?? I hadn't thought to look there til now. It's an opaque tube, so I kinda just don't think about it.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If light can't penetrate the drain, it's not likely that it will be clogged, unless there is a snail shell stuck in it or something.
640 gph after head loss is probably around 500 gph or so. If your HOB is a 600 gph overflow, there's your problem.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
If light can't penetrate the drain, it's not likely that it will be clogged, unless there is a snail shell stuck in it or something.
640 gph after head loss is probably around 500 gph or so. If your HOB is a 600 gph overflow, there's your problem.
Ok, thks! I'm going to do a test on my overflow to see how fast it's flowing. My LFS told me how to do it. So... if my overflow doesn't match my return, that's the prob?? So better to speed up overflow to match return rather than slow the return?? I haven't had a bubble show up lately. That's why I say there's no rhyme or reason! I'm sure there is a rhyme or reason, I just can't figure out what it is. My LFS said make sure the J-tube isn't near the back box's down spout b/c if it causes like a whirlpool effect, it could be throwing some air up the j-tube.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your pump is too weak for your overflow. I'm betting it's a 600 gph overflow and your pump after head loss is less than that.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com