Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Freak

All fish are still doing well in the hospital tank, except the yellow tang. Friday at lunch he was eating, swimming around normally. Everything seemed to be going ok. Friday night I noticed he seemed very disoriented and was swimming on his side. I checked him a few hours later and he was laying on his side. I started worrying that there was ammonia in the tank, so I did a 50% PWC and moved the yellow tang to the DT temporarily. He seemed to improve almost immediately, rather than laying on his side he was up swimming - still disoriented but swimming rather than laying on his side.

Got up Saturday morning and he had died. No clue what happened, as all the other fish in the hospital tank are still ok and doing fine.

I have stopped the copper treatment for now. Will start it again if I see anymore signs of ich. I've read that tangs are very sensitive to copper, and that could be the cause of the yellow tang's death. But the kole tang is still doing fine, no spots for about 3 or 4 days.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
A seriously bum deal, sorry for the loss and hopefully the others get to once again enjoy you dt

Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Freak

I ordered 30 lbs of base rock from reefcleaners.org a few days before I decided to set up the hospital tank. Probably a good thing the fish are out of the DT anyway because of the stress redoing my rock would have caused. Haha. Anyway, I got the rocks redone. My tank is starting to come together (now to get rid of this d@mn ich!!)

So here are the pics of the new corals, along with a full tank shot. The water is still a bit cloudy from rearranging the rocks.

Frogspawn Frag:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/57895967@N02/5611156973/]

Mushrooms - Complements of my dad - he bought them for me :

They aren't fully open since I redid the rock, they're normally fully open and really colorful.

And the newly redesigned tank!:
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks great, like your little frogspawn you got there. It's always awesome when someone else buys you something for the tank isn't? Lol good job to dad, now if I could only get that idea through my wife's head!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha, yeah it was pretty cool of him. I took him to the LFS that's going out of business and I showed him the other mushrooms and explained that I was either going to buy the zoanthids or mushrooms a few days before and went with the zoas. He offered to buy them for me. Thought it was pretty cool.

Finally got the frogspawn glued down... The frag plug was huge on it and I couldn't wedge it anywhere, so I took it off and glued it to one of the new rocks.

For the record, I highly recommend the base rock from reefcleaners.org. If I had it to do over again I'd have skipped out on most of my fiji live rock and just got a piece of it or two and went with 80% reefcleaners rock. As you can see my fiji is the "base" and the "base rock" is on top. lol
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
why is it cloudy? is that just the photo?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it is because he said he just finished rearranging the rocks. Glad you had good results from the reefcleaners rock, I've never used them before.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
oh..missed that part. that would explain it.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Freak

10-4 on the recently disturbed sandbed causing the cloud. Prior to that it was clearer water than I've ever seen. It's crazy how much faster a cycled tank's sandstorms clear up. I'll go snap another picture. It's cleared up a bunch.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Freak

Less cloudy tank:

Nassarius snail laying eggs:

Frogspawn has opened more since the last pic:

New zoas that were closed earlier. I can't get them to open as full as they were in the store. Also the larger colony isn't opening as much anymore either.

Lastly, a rather large q-tip/pineapple sponge that showed up. I have several of these things:

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com