I've been having problems with what I believe to be cyanobacteria. It is a maroon redish color, but it isn't the typical "mat" you typically hear of. There are long very silky/feathery strings that don't really appear to be attached to a mat. And some matted blue/greenish cyano
on the sand. So I've been battling this for a few weeks, which is why there are no updates.
Needless to say, there is a lesson to be learned here - PATIENCE! I've been sucking this stuff out w/ a turkey baster and vacuuming it up during water changes, but less than 24 hours and it's back. So I came home at lunch yesterday and it was HORRIBLE. The phosphate remover pellets I've had in a media bag tied to the overflow pipe didn't appear to be making a difference. I was desperate - I went to the LFS
and got some chemiclean (mr x - the box says no erythromycin
) so I got a box of it and brought it home after work.
Apparently the Aquarium Gods really didn't want me using it, because the "stringy" algae went from it's worst (at 1:30 pm) to 85% gone at 5:30 pm without using the chemiclean!