Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just orders some light equip from aquacave.com. I got 2 ati 80w t5 blue plus, 1 aquablue special and 1 purple. Plus tek2 reflectors and endcaps and standoffs I already have ice cap ballasts from the system I purchased. You would news ballasts, connectors and a couple of fans. All if you are going to DIY.

It's much cheaper compared to a $500-$700 fixture.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

So... important lesson learned last night...

DRILLING A SIPHON BREAK IN YOUR RETURN PLUMBING IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeeeeeeea, it's a good idea to have it, haha

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Went out of town for the weekend, and after thinking my nitrItes would never drop, I get home last night and immediately test for nitrites. I couldn't believe it when the test tube stayed blue!!! I added another 2 ppm ammonia about 15 hours ago and when I got up this morning 0 ammonia as expected, and my nitrites are closing in on 0!

I've got saltwater already made up and waiting to change about 10% then heading out to get my 2 clowns. (assuming nitrates are acceptable)!

Getting PUMPED
Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80 View Post
Went out of town for the weekend, and after thinking my nitrItes would never drop, I get home last night and immediately test for nitrites. I couldn't believe it when the test tube stayed blue!!! I added another 2 ppm ammonia about 15 hours ago and when I got up this morning 0 ammonia as expected, and my nitrites are closing in on 0!

I've got saltwater already made up and waiting to change about 10% then heading out to get my 2 clowns. (assuming nitrates are acceptable)!

Getting PUMPED
Sounds like you're good to go. Hopefully you're nitrates are in line, but it doesn't seem like they should not be based on your cycling strategy.

What kind of clowns?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Either Ocellaris or Percula. Doesn't really matter. Depends mainly on what the LFS has. With my luck they won't have any. lol
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just try to get tank raised as they are hardier. The species difference break down to looks and it's not a dramatic one.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80 View Post

Getting PUMPED
Instead of assuming, I would make sure both ammonia and nitrites are 0 before getting any fish. Your tank may be going through a mini-cycle which could take another week, in turn possibly harming/killing your fish.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I said assuming, I meant that I'd go get the fish if nitrates were acceptable, not getting fish then testing!

But needless to say, after doing a 30-40% water change once nitrites hit 0, I got my nitrates to an acceptable level.

My first fish are as follows:

2 percula clowns. I'm assuming they're percula, that's what the LFS told me. If they aren't then they are ocellaris, which is fine.

1 bi color dottyback. He is staying hidden inside the live rock, only seen him about 3 or 4 times.

I will post pictures after work!!

Note to self: Don't forget to turn off the RO/DI before bed. It causes a big, wet mess in the morning.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

pics

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com