Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How deep is your sandbed? I have a yellowhead jawfish and he has a ton of personality, very fun to watch (digs a lot though).

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sandbed is about 3" deep, maybe a bit deeper.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80 View Post
My nice fiji pink sand is covered in diatoms!!! It's ugly, but it's a welcome sign (from what I've read on here) that my tank is maturing as expected.

So I've had the two clowns in there for about a week or so. When can I add some more fish and does anyone have any suggestions for reef-safe fish for a 75 gallon?

I eventually want a Kole and/or Scopas Tang, but know they need to be added last and together.
i don't think you need to add a scopus or kole last. you can add them any time you want. are you going to want to add something that relies on pods? if not, the fairy wrasses are a nice addition.
Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i don't think you need to add a scopus or kole last. you can add them any time you want.
Awesome. I'd been told that you need to add your tangs last due to aggression. But eventually I'd like to get a mandarin. I've got a LOOONG way to go with my pods. I think the cycle killed the majority of them. My LR used to look like it had fleas, now I see a few little bugs here and there, but nothing like it was.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, it would ultimately depend on the actual fish, and i'm sure there are exceptions, but i have never heard of an aggressive scopus or kole tang.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

You just made my day. I need to finish my QT and I will be getting a new addition!

Does work get in the way of this hobby for anyone else? lol
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Does work get in the way of this hobby for anyone else? lol
Constantly.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

After you mentioned the Jawfish, I did some reading and now I REEALLY want one of those little guys. I remember seeing them at the Georgia Aquarium. they had a tank full of them, and it looked like a Saltwater Whack-A-Mole.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
they had a tank full of them, and it looked like a Saltwater Whack-A-Mole.
Haha! They react the same way if you get close to the glass.

Just make sure you are extra careful when acclimating them, the can stress out very easily. Mine was in a blacked out bag, whereas my other livestock were in clear bags. Keep the lights off in the room and tank until the next day, and keep a tight lid on the tank!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well after calling all the LFS in my area, none have any reef-safe fish, except reef-safe fish I don't want or can't house. One store is going through a sale and won't have any more live stock until someone buys the store, another won't place another order for 3 weeks, and the place I got my clowns just made an order but the fish he has that I want are too big - I want to get them small.

Anyway, I ordered 3 fish online last night. They should be at my door by 10:30 am. I took uscamaro's advice and got a yellowhead jawfish! Can't wait to see this little guy in action. Also got a yellow watchman goby. And I also went ahead and got a small Kole tang!

3 fish may be a bit much, but paying $40 for shipping is crazy, but my 75 looks so empty with just 2 little clowns!

Should I get a pistol shrimp to accompany my watchman goby? Or would a pistol shrimp and the jawfish be too much "renovation" of my sand bed?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com