Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't think the little yellow head is going to rearrange things too much. perhaps just make a few holes here and there. btw- make sure you have a good lid, or mesh grate over the tank, because i have seen more of them jump than not.
take some pics when you get them in the tank and be sure to give a review of the online vendor, for others who are considering a purchase.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

They called me this afternoon, and unfortunately do not have any yellowhead jawfish. I asked what other jawfish they had in stock, and they had a dusky jawfish available. I googled it and it is a pretty interesting looking little fella, and I didn't see any differences in the dusky and yellowhead except for color, so I told them that was ok.

Just got the fedex shipping notification, so they're on their way!

I have a 10 gallon QT set up waiting for them to arrive with a DIY sponge filter in my sump (it's been there for 4-5 days collecting bacteria). I couldn't justify paying more for shipping than the actual cost of the fish, and the best of the 3 LFS around here didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the jawfish.... Will the 10 gallon be too small of a QT for a medium sized kole tang, the yellow watchman goby, and the jawfish?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

dusky are cool too.
there will be alot of people who will disagree with me, but i would not put that tang in that 10 gallon tank. if i was getting those fish, i would toss them right in the DT.
i just don't see how small tanks that look absolutely nothing like the environment they were just abducted from, won't stress them out tremendously. you may want to take someone elses advice on this one.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

So would you recommend a freshwater dip first?

I don't know what others say, but everything you've told me so far has been spot on. I'd have probably given up on SW and got an oscar if it wasn't for your advice.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, they will probably come in with ich. if they aren't too stressed, it will appear to subside. as long as they live relatively stress free lives it will not resurface, but it will always be there. that's what you deal with when you don't QT.
of course the worst case scenario is that they die from it.
thanks for the kudos.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

So do you QT or not? I had thought about placing the jawfish and watchman goby in the DT but putting the tang in QT since tangs are more prone to get it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't qt anything. i dip corals, and that's all. i lost 1 fish this way, of all the fish i brought in. it was an achilles tang.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like I'm going to be forced to do it your way anyhow. I just noticed there is rust running down the side of my QT. I "temporarily" (then forgot to remove it) placed a metal clamp on the side of the QT to hold the airline in place. Oops.

But back to the ich, if it doesn't show up for a while, wouldn't the life cycle have been broken and the tank become ich free? Or will the fish constantly have ich, but have the ability to fight it off with their immune system?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are all in the tank! I am leaving the lights off for a while. The Kole and Goby immediately went into hiding, while the jawfish just sat there with it's mouth gaped wide open.

I will post pictures whenever I turn the lights on.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pictures as promised. The clowns were already there, but they aren't as shy now, and were posing.

Watchman Goby

Dusky Jawfish

Kole Tang

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com