Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

tjm80's 75 gallon build thread

Hi guys, I figured it was time to make a build thread.

I have a 75 gallon tank, and a 20 gallon tank that will be used as a sump. Working on getting it put together right now. Here's a tip for all you future sump-builders. Don't get silicone on your hands. 20 minutes of hand washing, half a bottle of gojo, mineral spirits, and a scotch-brite pad later, i got 90% of it off. lol

Anyway, I have the two tanks, my stand is built and the paint is drying, RO/DI is sitting on the table waiting to be setup, display tank drilled, and not nearly enough funds to keep going at the pace I want!

I will be getting a pump for the sump here in the next few days, then filling it with water and letting it cycle.

Here is a picture of my home built stand. Also my first woodworking project. It was built with a chop saw, circular saw, and nicotine.

Should I put a layer of styrofoam on the top of the stand for the tank to sit on?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey. Good work on the stand. In building my own as well. Iv had my tank on the stupid metal frame that came with it for a year. You defiantly want ur tank on some kind of foam. My stand will be having thc helping it on it's way...lol

Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok it's been a while since I've updated. I have the tank set up, I put in approx 90-100 lbs of sand (CaribSea). I also have approx 35 lbs of base rock, and 15 lbs of live rock as of now. I put in 2 tablespoons of ace ammonia two days ago, and yesterday was getting a 1ppm reading. Should the initial spike be higher?

Also, I had to take the sump out and redo the baffles. Should have bought a 10 gallon and just siliconed some glass to it to get some experience. Man, it was UGLY - silicone everywhere. But the baffle between the DSB and the return pump had a TINY little leak that had silicone bulging from it because I couldn't seem to fix it, yet kept trying anyway. Haha. So I took it out last night and it's got about 8 more hours or so before I hook everything back up. I will post pictures then.

I'm going to start out doing a FOWLR with reef safe fish, because I want corals eventually. So the expensive lighting isn't needed now, and I don't have a protein skimmer yet. Should I skip on the protein skimmer for now and go on and get the lights I will eventually need? Or should I just get a cheapo light for now, and get the protein skimmer when I add livestock?

When I say "now", I'm obviously talking about after the cycle is completed
Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

skimmer now,lights later
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
+1 skimmer will be important to keep your water clean while you are waiting to put the coral in. A good skimmer is really handy to have for the coral anyway.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It will be a good long while before I get any corals. Also keep in mind I have no lighting at all right now. When I got the tank it didn't come with any lights. I do have a glass top for it though. I also got a 30% discount for the lack of lighting.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, so.... I've been researching the crap out of skimmers and lighting. More than likely, I will get a Reef Octopus NWB 150.

As for lighting, cheap is the last word to describe it. Anyway, I am very intrigued by the Marineland Reef Capable LED setup. Is this a good lighting unit? Here is a link to the light. Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System

Or these lights. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=5112

Here is a picture of the tank, right after I filled it up. A lot of the cloudiness has settled, you can actually see all the way through it now! I used Ace ammonia and my ammonia PPM is around 4 right now, so I've got the cycle started!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested how much water goes into the sump when the pumps shut off? Looks like you have a lot if water in there.

Just in case you didn't know, you drill a hole in your return spout to break the siphon as high as possible for when you have a power outage. Or you make sure you have room in the sump to accommodate all that water till the siphon naturally breaks
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually, I took the sump out and redid it, there was a small leak between the sand bed and return area. Got that all fixed up and it's back up and running. I actually have more water in it now than before. With the power off, the water level in the entire sump is the height of the highest baffle. Over an inch from the top.

I just have some vinyl tubing stretched over the end of the 90 degree PVC joint for now. I need to order some LocLine. Went to the LFS and they don't carry it... But the sump has enough room in it to handle the siphon when I cut the pump off. Just checked it and it has about 2 inches to spare. Also, after I redid the sump, I made the sandbed about an inch or so longer.

I know it's recommended to get your skimmer first, but I wanted to get the cycle completed, and needed the sump in place to do that. I figure I won't be getting a skimmer that will take up over 1/2 of the sump. The Octopus skimmer I'm planning on getting is approx. 12x8 footprint, and I have plenty of room in the first section for it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
A skimmer isn't required right when you set up your tank. Especially during the cycle you really don't need it. Once you start stocking the tank it would be a good idea to pick one up before to long.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com