Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to virus
to be or not to be....Saltwater

Hello all!

I am a big freshy, And im about to Acquire a 75 gallon tank with a light, gravel, heater, and Filter for free. I was thinking about putting Cichlids in it for Freshwater and a Thought ran across my mind.Saltwater, In have always Thought about doing it, and i was told go big for saltwater so i got a 75. A concern i have is that i want a Clean looking tank, im not into having all that Stuff covering the back of the tank i like everything to look nice and clean.Also i dont have alot of money at the present time, but i am a very patient person, so saving up to get a skimmer, etc is no problem. i need to know exactly what to get and how much it would cost me, i already know my biggest expence is going to be LR so scratch that out, adn i can wait for deals on ebay/aquabid so can anyone give me a rough estimate and a answer to the question above,

Sincerly
John Gallagher

P.S. thank you guys you have alll been so helpfull!!!

1 Rosy barb
3 Neon Swordtails
1 Platinum lyretail mollie
3 Cory Cats
1 Dojo Loach
1 Angelfish
10 Gallon
empt- but running

This is cool place to make a extra budget for ur fishies by reading emails
http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?Virus
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, if you have already dismissed the use of LR I would skip the SW tank all together. IMO, it is the best thing you can do for a SW tank.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
you dont have to have lr if you want a fishonly tank.for me im kinda skipping it with my 60 but instead im buying 50 pounds of base rock(50 pounds) for 60 bux (including shipping) from thatpetplace.com and im gonna add a couple pounds of lr to it.

for an estimate for fish...expect most things to be about 20 bucks or more. unless you want damsels then itll be about 5 dollars.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think virus was saying that he already knows live rock is expensive so he doesn't need to be told about that......I didn't get that he was implying he definitely won't be using live rock, in fact I read it just the opposite....he will be using it and has already considered the cost factor involved. Now he wants to know about the other cost factors.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to virus
well i mean i AM getting LR lol just i was saying i knew the price and i mean about the whole shebang i mean what else do i need, im not useing the gravel so i think im going sand cuz i want to have certain sepices. but i want to know what are the rest of the stuff i need IE Skimmer, sand, saltmixes and various olther items i might need cuz i would really love to do this!
1 Rosy barb
3 Neon Swordtails
1 Platinum lyretail mollie
3 Cory Cats
1 Dojo Loach
1 Angelfish
10 Gallon
empt- but running

This is cool place to make a extra budget for ur fishies by reading emails
http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?Virus
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
oh i thought you were saying you saw how expensive it was and werent going to get it then lol,
Old 09-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

virus,

Check out www.garf.org. He shows how you can make your own aquarium live rocks out of argonite sand and portmans (found in HD). Or you can buy some of their "dead" rocks. Then you make the rocks live by adding what he calls "garf grunge" as a seed. Looks infinately cheaper than buying live or dead rock.

HTH.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
How about a RO/DI unit.. I would strongly consider a nice sump (fuge or not) as well plus all the pluming that comes with it :P
Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think sumps are a great idea and benefit the tank greatly but they can be a bit overwhelming when money, equipment and interest are an issue. Start out with just the tank, LR, sand and some fish and see how it goes.

Downside is that if you do decide you want a sump later on, drilling won't be an option with water, etc. in the tank. It has been done but not by most. You almost have to make up your mind on how far you want to go before hand.

I had a FO tank for many years before I even knew what corals were. Just a plain 38 gal. tank. Once I found corals, it went downhill from there My setup has grown a bit ....

My point is to just think about what you want. It does not have to be complicated to work.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Virus,

The clean look and SW are not totally compatible. I manage to keep three sides of the glass clean, but would recommend letting the back go as all the stuff growing is healthy for the fish if it is the right kind of stuff.

A FOWLR might be the way to start. You can start with a variety of base rocks and then seed it with a smaller amount of LR. Technically, all rock becomes LR over time as bacteria and micro organisms start to grow on it. The LR you purchase just has a larger amount of the good stuff along with other organisms growing on it.

If you go this route patience and a small fish load will be critical as you tank matures.

I had my 75 gal set up with Africans and am so glad I made the switch back to SW.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com