to chill or not to chill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfrei64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been wondering how essential a chiller is to a reef system. It seems that every summer, my tank doesn't fair as well as in the winter. Now that I've had my 300 set up for over a year, I'm finding some bleaching in my sps this summer. Apparently , temp change is one of the big factors in bleaching. So, I'd like to hear from those of you that have had experience with chillers.....do they really make a difference? Did your tanks do better after adding a chiller? And finally, make any recommendations on type, size, etc.......after all, they are quite expensive.
Thanks!!!!

do you have any kind of active cooling on your lights or on your sump? When I say active cooling im talking about fans. Fans blowing over the sumps surface can aid in cooling the tank a fair amount. Your only seeing a 4 degree increase from night to day. 84 is at the upper range of where your tank should be. I personally run mine between 80 and 82. Some fans might aid in the cooling enough to drop it a few degrees.

I have fans on my lights, but not on my sump.
Good idea....I used to do that on my old tank......somehow, I forgot about it.
Thanks for kickstarting my brain.

The only drawback there is that your evaporation will go up dramatically. I'm starting to consider a chiller as this should greatly lessen the amount of RO water I have to add.

Back
Top Bottom