To clean or not to clean!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just in the process of putting my new tank together after a leak on the old.
My question is; do I take his chance to scrub and clean the live rock before putting it back in? If I give it a shake it's full of sand and debris. If yes, could I do this in tap water or would it have to be RO/DI.

Also I'm going bare bottom this time so any advice or tips on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Has it been out of water for a while? If it has been in water there shouldn't be any die-off if it has been dry for a while I would clean it and go through a curing process again.

If it`s still in the water then put it in the new tank. If you do rinse it off make sure you do rinse it off in SW. Dont rinse in FW or you`ll lose a lot of your nitrifying bacteria. If the rock is dry then you`ll need to cure it again. We have a great article on how to do that in our Sw articles section.

Thanks everyone, the rock is still in salt water. I'll give it a rinse in that before putting it in the new tank.
I hope this one never leaks, this last week has been a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom