to cure or not to cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobalt0627

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do I really need to cure my dry rock or will the cycling process take care of all the stuff on the rock?

Do I really need to cure my dry rock or will the cycling process take care of all the stuff on the rock?

is your dry rock really dry rock ? or is it live rock that was dried out ? I ask because you said will it take care of the stuff on the rock ,

Dry rock should be rinsed to remove any loose dust and bugs ,

now dry live rock I would scrub off any crud on all the live rock , this will help remove most of the crud along with any other stuff .

once you do the above with which ever you have you can add it to your tank,

There are 2 ways you can start your cycle .

1.) now you start your cycle , you will need straight clear liquid ammonia with no
perfumes or additives , (No other type of ammonia will work) you would need to dose to 4 ppm ammonia

2.) another way you can start your cycle is to use a deli shrimp that you can place in a clean but old lady s stocking to keep the decomposing shrimp from going all over the tank and it makes for easy removal once you reach 4ppm the shrimp is your ammonia source .

this link should help with most of your unanswered questions about cycling

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Hey 54seaweed thanks for the reply, I have pukani dry live rock, and reef saver dry live rock. I have already gone though and scrubbed everything I can get off the rock. so I can just throw it in and let it start cycling? Don't need to "cure" or anything? And should I put the rock in first, or sand then rock?

I always recommend putting rock on glass to keep any diggers to burrow under causing a rock slide , some actually use the egg crate light defuser on the bottom to keep rocks from cracking the glass , if you add sand before you fill use several plates to prevent sand from being stirred up. you may still encounter a sand cloud but it should clear rather fast ,

I'm about to start curing my pukani dry rock, it seams like a waste of salt could I just use rodi or distilled water?

Back
Top Bottom