to cycle my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it ok to just use tapwater to cycle then use ro when I am ready to stock??

I used tapwater to get started and I had and am still battling a hair algae problem the Ro/DI water has helped to reduce the problem. There are a trace amount of nitrates in my tap water among many other things. Add some decent lighting to that and it is a recipe for algae growth.

yeah, i would not use tap water even to cycle. it will take a lot water changes to get all of the nutrients in the tap water out of the system. the city that i live in has some of the best tap water in the country and i still NEVER use it in my system.

just my $.02 but i hope it helps

I work for the county water system and we add ammonia, Phosphates and nitrates to the water. It is an aquarist nightmare.

what do you do for them melosu ?? i have even heard of them adding arsenic to drinking water in some areas.

I agree, RO/DI is the way to go. I am even on well water and still use my RO/DI.

I'm on well water and our water tested beautifully but I still use my RO/DI and have from the first drop of water that went into my tank. With all the money and time that you are about to invest into this hobby starting out right will save you tons!

Back
Top Bottom