to drill or not to drill???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so im having the worst time trying to decide if i should drill my tank or buy a overflow box. so please guys help me figure it out my eyes are hurting looking at all these sites everynight trying to figure out whats the best plan for my new tank

TIA

i say put them on the back, visit glass-holes they have a good overflow system and if there is a leak you won't dump the whole tank just the top few inches.

drilling is always better than using a HOB overflow. drilled tanks work by gravity. HOb overflows work by siphon.
the trouble is, your tank is full. how will you drill it?
also, you need to find out if the pane you are thinking of putting the holes in is tempered or not. if it's tempered, it cannot be drilled.
as for noise, either can be quiet, or noisy, depending on a few factors.

thanks mr_x for the reply. this is for my new 46 gallon tall tank that hasnt been set up yet. i was looking at glass-holes overflow and return system and i really like that setup. is the a good trick to finding out of the glass is tempered or not??

with a UV light, mostlikely its not, usually only the bottoms are as they don't get dinged and chipped nearly as much. tempered glass would shatter if it was chipped

thanks leo, another question i have is if i use this 700gh overflow would two 370 pumps running to two 3/4 inch return on either side of the tank. will that be good enough to handle the overflow or should i go higher on the pumps?

check what the flow rates would be at a set head. you might only get 200 top GPH at 4 feet. what kind of pumps are they?

it was a ebay sale i dont know what kind they were. but ive decided to go with one big pump like a 1000 gph and just split in to 2 return lines

thanks for all the info guys. now with my 46 tall i have a 20 long im building for a sump and planning on switching my 46 bowfront's hob filter with this wet/dry trickle filter that came with the new tank. but my question is i also have a old 20 gallon tall that would just fit under my stand with 1 inch to spare sith do u this would be better using that wet/dry or building a sump out of the 20 gallon tall

i wouldn't bother using that if you have one inche to spare between the top, wouldn't even be able to get a skimmer in there so stick with the 20 long and do a fuge, unless you plan on FO

no sorry if i explained it wrong the 20 long if for my other tank that im getting ready to set up. for my already set up tank im trying to decide if i should use my wet/dry for it or build a sump out of a 20gallon tall tank and as far as room it has one inch of clearance in the width not high

Thanks for all the info leo

Last edited:
ya that was my first plan how a good way do mod it and its too small for a protien skimmer could i get a hang on the back skimmer and put it on my wet/dry? i hace a seaclone 100 hob skimmer that came with my first thank and the pump is broke, i tryed changing to a different pump and i cant get it to make bubbles

Back
Top Bottom