To many peppermint/cleaner shrimp in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can you reach a point of to many shrimp in a tank (within reason)? I ordered 10 peppermints and 4 cleaners today. I know I am not close but do they get territorial at all?

I only have two in my 55, but mine aren't at all territorial....in fact, they hang out together a lot. Also, I remember others saying that shrimp don't really add to the bioload, either, so keeping a ton wouldn't matter I don't think.

I don't think so. The only thing about having to many is, if the food source isn't there, they will begin to die off. Otherwise, the way I understand it is, they prefer to be in groups.

I am not sure how many I have in my tank now but in worst case I will just watch and feed accordingly. It would be great if they all let me target feed them, that would be something to see. :)

of course, some shrimp can be predatory against other species, but you are talking about peppermint and so you should be just fine.

I would have ordered 10 skunks and 4 peppermints! I love my skunks. I have 3 skunks healthy and happy in my 120 with 1 peppermint. I almost never see the peppermint. They're really shy (and possibly nocturnal which doesn't bode well for seeing it with the dark red body it has). With all of your rock you probably won't ever see the peppermints unless they're really hungry. The skunks will be out all the time and if you hold food long enough they'll sit on your finger and eat it, given the opportunity!

Hara said:
of course, some shrimp can be predatory against other species, but you are talking about peppermint and so you should be just fine.

Yeah, I should have specified I meant only the two species in question were ok.
I love my cleaners too. They are insanely brave and will jump on my hand even if it's only just againt the water, not actually in the tank.

I took your advise and changed my order to 10 peppermint and 8 skunk cleaners. I would get more but there is a nice price difference. $2 peppermints and $15 cleaners.

Yeah, the cleaners are a good bit more expensive. Though, they are some very good prices. Where are you ordering from if you don't mind me asking?

how do you think i would go adding some cleaner or pepermint shrimp into my tank with a coral beauty, orange tail damsel, red blenny, two perc clowns and a hermit crab?

I don't see anything in your list of inhabitants that would care rather there were shrimp in your tank or not. I would add some.

You don't think they will want to eat them? I had some very small (1-2cm) scavenger shrimp in there and they got chomped. :oops:

Unless I'm missing something, no. I see a dwarf angel, two clowns, a damsel and a blenny. None of which will bother cleaners or peppermint shrimp.

yeah.. i might give them a go. Over here cleaner shrimp are VERY expensive. They are up to $200 for a pair. I will have to see if I can find other types of shrimp less expensive.

As far as I know, cleaner shrimp are not yet been successfully captive bred like the peppermint shrimp so they are more expensive.

Yeah we usually pay through the nose for marine stuff here.

2x96w PC lights, 36" fixture + lights, the best I can find is $350AU.

Yellow Tang.. $180, but I can find them for $100 elsewhere but they are much smaller.

Live rock is $15 per KG, maybe $12 but far less quality. And those don't have that much living in them at all, just algae and thats about it.

Back
Top Bottom