To much live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends, is that just a wall of live rock and there is room in the front and back or is that taking up the whole back wall? And how many fish do you have in there? People keep as little as 1# per gallon and up to 3# per gallon, you just need to think if you have enough free swimming places for your fishes. And what kind of tank do you wish to have a FOWLR or a reef? If you just want fish then you can get away with as little as 1# per gallon but if you want a reef it's best to keep 2-3# per gallon. If you have too much it will create dead spots. Do you have a refugium, if you think you have to much put some down there, if you still have to much sell it on Craigslist : )

Wow, that IS a lot of rock. And I happen to keep too much rock myself in my tanks so thats saying something. LOL

Yep, tracey has a point though, it depends on the fish and what you are trying to accomplish with the tank. You must have uber bio filtration though on the bright side. lol

hats alot of rock, you still want swimmign room for fish and spots for corals

i liek to go with 1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon gives you plenty of rood and plenty of biological filtration. the thing is to much rock is not always good even for filtration unless you are able to finish the nitrification process, the more rock the faster the disolved organics are broken down into nitrate and the faster that happens the less nutirents your skimmer will pull out

Its a lot IMO,,too much ,well thats up to you, like everyone else said..
As far as bio filtration ,i'm not sold on that idea anymore..I used to think that when i started out but i don't really believe it anymore..I used to jam pack my tanks like that too,,but ever since i went to a more open and less is more approach things are better ..A lot less places for stuff to collect and get trapped ..
Heres a good article i came across a while ago
Live Rock As A Biological Filter: Hit or Myth? by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.. - Reefkeeping.com

Thanks for the opinions. Its a 55 gallon tank and I would guess its around 150lbs. Maybe I could give some to the person I gave my tank to. Got a great deal on this tank: 55g, stand, overflow, sump, marineland pro series light, two ballasts, four wave makers, live rock, fish, pump, skimmer, sump, heater, I would guess around $500 in chemicals, food, Extech RF20, spare halogen lights, and a bunch of other things that I have not went through. All for $200.00!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom