To sand or not to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Voshon247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will most likely be creating a 125 or 90 gallon reef tank and I would like to know if I should use sand or not. What ever opinions are important too

I will most likely be creating a 125 or 90 gallon reef tank and I would like to know if I should use sand or not. What ever opinions are important too

Depends what you want to put in there. Personally I like the look of sand than just bare bottom. If you go with no sand you can't have certain animals like nassarius snails, tube anemones, or a wrasse. Without sand though, you can clean the detritus more easily and keep an overall cleaner system. If you're getting an SPS dominant tank it would be easier to keep the water very clean without sand. It's preference and each has its pros and cons. If you go with sand, 1-3 inches is a good amount.

Depends what you want to put in there. Personally I like the look of sand than just bare bottom. If you go with no sand you can't have certain animals like nassarius snails, tube anemones, or a wrasse. Without sand though, you can clean the detritus more easily and keep an overall cleaner system. If you're getting an SPS dominant tank it would be easier to keep the water very clean without sand. It's preference and each has its pros and cons. If you go with sand, 1-3 inches is a good amount.

I would like too keep a variety of corals to keep a great amount of biodiversity

Especially plates, but I think that brains, acans, and trumpets also belong in the sand. I've never had success putting them anywhere else. And then you can also have clams, dusters, coco worms...so on. The sandbed is the best part of the tank!

Back
Top Bottom