Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

To skim or not to skim?

Is a protein skimmer really necessary? What are your takes on this?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not necessary, but instead of having a piece of equipment to do the work for you, YOU will be the protein skimmer . Doing more frequent water changes to keep down nitrates and minimizing food and such. I see all the gunk that my skimmer takes out and I don't think I'd be able to get to all that small waste before it decomposed and raised the nitrates. JeremyS. just posted a $1 protein skimmer (made of plastic water bottles) that looked pretty effective! Worth a try IMO.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
It's not necessary, but instead of having a piece of equipment to do the work for you, YOU will be the protein skimmer . Doing more frequent water changes to keep down nitrates and minimizing food and such. I see all the gunk that my skimmer takes out and I don't think I'd be able to get to all that small waste before it decomposed and raised the nitrates. JeremyS. just posted a $1 protein skimmer (made of plastic water bottles) that looked pretty effective! Worth a try IMO.
Aha ill rather buy one xD which one do you have?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The aquamedic turboflotor multi SL..forgot which website I ordered it from, but they are sold in a lot of popular ones. It was recommended to me by my mom's friend who has a 300 gallon FOWLR tank (he's also a marine biologist so that's a plus ). The awesome thing is his skimmer is 8 years old and still running great (always great to have quality products). It's actually rated up to 200 gallons, but it works wonders on his tank (and mine too). I bought it, and kind of wanted to get a reef octupus or something else, but after reading the pamphlet about the skimmer, it seems like the company really knows what they are talking about and it can be used for reef tanks. What skimmer do you want if you were to get one and what's your tank size? If it's a nano, I'd say it's not really needed. If it's a large tank with a strong bioload I think it would help tremendously.

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The aquamedic turboflotor multi SL..forgot which website I ordered it from, but they are sold in a lot of popular ones. It was recommended to me by my mom's friend who has a 300 gallon FOWLR tank (he's also a marine biologist so that's a plus ). The awesome thing is his skimmer is 8 years old and still running great (always great to have quality products). It's actually rated up to 200 gallons, but it works wonders on his tank (and mine too). I bought it, and kind of wanted to get a reef octupus or something else, but after reading the pamphlet about the skimmer, it seems like the company really knows what they are talking about and it can be used for reef tanks. What skimmer do you want if you were to get one and what's your tank size? If it's a nano, I'd say it's not really needed. If it's a large tank with a strong bioload I think it would help tremendously.
Sounds good, but i need a hob protein skimmer. I wanted to get a aqua c mora. I have a 60 gallon tank with 6 fish 1 shrimp and a mushroom. Around 60 pounds of live rock.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Could you link me to that post? Very interested! Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can be HOB or in the sump (I have it in my sump). Just be careful, because if you neglect to empty the cup bubbles will come through the top (but prob. won't overflow on the ground). Found where I got it from!
I got it with the pump, but you can just get the skimmer and find your own pump.
Store Protein Skimmers Standard Skimmers
This place charges $20 shipping and taxed me $22! So, probably best to see other options like:
Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Protein Skimmer
On the pricey side, but I think lighting and skimmers are the most costly, yet most important investment.

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It can be HOB or in the sump (I have it in my sump). Just be careful, because if you neglect to empty the cup bubbles will come through the top (but prob. won't overflow on the ground). Found where I got it from!
I got it with the pump, but you can just get the skimmer and find your own pump.
Store Protein Skimmers Standard Skimmers
This place charges $20 shipping and taxed me $22! So, probably best to see other options like:
Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Protein Skimmer
On the pricey side, but I think lighting and skimmers are the most costly, yet most important investment.
Ohh alright thanks ima check them out. don't forget about chillers pricey also aha.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

ehh...chillers...don't even remind me . I live in San Diego where the weather is very nice...the ocean is our huge air conditioner! However, the weather this past summer has gotten the hottest it has been in a REALLY long time (in the upper 80 and 90s OH NO) and my tank was getting to be 84F. So that was when I was thinking about chillers, but practically free RO/DI ice cubes proved to be some help! So I'm not really worried about high temps..if I got a chiller I'd prob. only use it 3 weeks out of the whole year. I'm surprised nobody has made a quality inexpensive chiller, I mean really, $300 or 400 for a few degrees lower seems ridiculous to me!

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
ehh...chillers...don't even remind me . I live in San Diego where the weather is very nice...the ocean is our huge air conditioner! However, the weather this past summer has gotten the hottest it has been in a REALLY long time (in the upper 80 and 90s OH NO) and my tank was getting to be 84F. So that was when I was thinking about chillers, but practically free RO/DI ice cubes proved to be some help! So I'm not really worried about high temps..if I got a chiller I'd prob. only use it 3 weeks out of the whole year. I'm surprised nobody has made a quality inexpensive chiller, I mean really, $300 or 400 for a few degrees lower seems ridiculous to me!
Thats so true aha, they probably just overprice them, i live in los angeles so its not that hot either, ill probably run a fan or something in the Sumner then.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com