Toadstool is killin me....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok.... My toadstool hasn't been doing well with my various "mounting" methods.... so I decided to just bury is trunk in the sand a little..... the thing is he just keeps bending downward... like he's pissed at me or something...... I think I see a few very small signs of necrosis.... he's only been in the tank a few days..... I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas???? Maybe TOO much light???? I've got'em on the bottom of my 55gal and am using 4x65 PC lighting..................................... please help

Thats no where near as much light I have :D I have 550watts in my 55, LOL. I dont know why it isnt doing fine. What are your alk and calcium levels? I found out that alk is very important when it comes to corals :D

I have a toadstool (Can check out my gallery). When 1st introduced in the tank, it will bend to one side a bit typically and begin a molt process (Might notice some red/deep red at the base to mid section). 2 to 4 days later he should be upright and you should see some 'snot' looking material coming off of him. This is normal and happens every so often. You can expect he will cycle through this as he adapts to the new environment. 260w (About 4.5w/g) should do in a 55, though you don't mention your lighting specs (2 x actinic 03's? 2 x Actinic white? etc) so hard to say if you have the right kind of lighting. No tag line, so I can't tell if this is your 1st coral or what. However, before you run out and start treating the tank for untested problems, you should check your parms. As for too much light, I run 440w over my 75G (Again, see gallery) and as you can see, he's all about some actinic 440w light, so your not in jeporday of 'over' lighting. How big is this guy? Was it mounted to start with? One of thie biggest probs with leather corals is that they will expand and contract (ne1 ever try to glue finger leather..pfe, pain in arse) and can negate glueing efforts. Rubber bands will sometimes only cause them to start to divide once they expand again. I have not personally tried this but you can try nylons (Or similar). Cut some nylons so the base rock and the coral will fit, but tight enough to keep him from getting too far off the rock, if at all. You can then rubber band the nylon around the two and he should be able to still get light. I have seen this suggested elsewhere, but I have never tried it. Although, if you have been messing with this guy a good bit recently, best to just let him sit a week or so. Once he starts perking up, you can have another go at him!
Best of luck!

I've got 2x65 actinics and 2x65 10,000k on all day.... I have been moving him around alot lately..... I finally just moved him to a spot with medium flow and used a rubber band.... hopefully he won't split... I'm sure the coral is tired of all the stress... he's going to stay there permanently .... no more moving around..... I guess he'll just take a while to settle in... when I picked him up he was attached to a rock and a few smaller pebbles... I got him with the pebbles and there is still one attached to the base...... at this point he's about half way up my tank and doing alright.... the polyps come out... they're awful small though... and don't seem to come out around the center of the "shroom".... I'll just give him a while.... and keep my fingers crossed.......One other thing.... with my other corals, (shrooms) they show evidence of zooplanx with the actinics but I don't see any of that on the toadstool.... should I ???????

Again, just give him a couple weeks of peace and quiet. If the polyps are extending, your doing fine. Over the next couple days you should see more and more if hes on the upswing from his acclimation. Best thing is to just let him be for now.

Rather than keep bumping this thread, shoot me a message, id be interested to see how your patient comes out ; )

Back
Top Bottom