Today's water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawling68

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well the tank has been cycling for 2 weeks, and this is what i got so far-

temp- 82 Degrees
SG- 1.025
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia- .50
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5.0

What do you guys think, progressing properly? Time for the shrimp?

Crawling68 said:
Time for the shrimp?
Do you mean a raw shrimp? How have you been cycling the tank if you haven't added the shrimp yet?

The shrimp method works fine but I've had a lot better control over nutrient levels by using flaked fish food.

I keep the ammonia around 0.5ppm until one day overnight it drops to zero. I continure feeding the flake food until Nitrite drops to zero. Then I continue feeding the food until I get a pair of Clownfish in the tank. During the cycle I feed the exact amount of food that I would feed a pair of small Clownfish.

After adding the fish I never get the typical ammonia spike because the tank is already accustomed to that amount of nutrients.

Bang Guy, I would imagine using flakes would result in rather large amounts of nuisance algae growth. Do you not experience this?

If you added LR, especially uncured LR, then your tank is probably cycling already and the shrimp would be unnecessary. I would guess that the ammonia and nitrite you are seeing now is from the LR addition.

... he has no nitrIte...just a smidge of ammonia, and nitrAte. kinda strange, unless something big died and caused a new mini-ammonia spike. nitrate test kits can be hard to read at lower lvls (2 of my nitrate kits start at 0ppm then 10ppm)

Back
Top Bottom