Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I do end up moving the tank, I will drain it. I may just stick with the 10 gallon under the stand since it already fits in place nice. I was looking at this overflow unit. It's rated for up to 75 gallons and I can save a couple bucks compared to the one I posted earlier which was the eshopps pf-800. This is the pf-300

Amazon.com: Eshopps PF-300 Overflow Box - Up to 75 gallons - 6 in. x 3 in. x 10 in.: Pet Supplies

This will save me a couple bucks on the return pump as well since I wouldn't think i'd be able to go with a 700gph? I am unsure of the difference. it doesnt say...

Can anyone please chime in on this overflow system and return pump that I posted up earlier. I'd like to get this done this weekend and not sure of 100% parts etc I need to have. Thanks.

The return pump controls the flow in the over flow box. You will probably have to dail the pump down for the overflow to keep up . Check out Melevs reef sumps on google they provide info on the hows and whys and little tips to.

Thanks. For my 55g do you think I can do the of- 300 overflow box or do I need the 800. The one by eshopps

Would a 700 gph pump be fine either way with a ball valve. How to I crank it back? Ill check out that. Can you hook me up with a link?

Really up to you. But the more water filtration and movement is always better. I went cheaper before and 2 months later buying what I wanted to at first arghhhh. Check out that site it will really help you. A 55 with the 300 will turn over about 5 times a hour the 800 will be like 15 times a hour.

This is the overflow system I bought:
Eshopps PF 800 Overflow Box Rated to 125g | eBay

This is the return pump I bought:
700 GPH Aquarium Pond Water Pump Submersible Fountain Sump Return Wet Dry | eBay

This is the directional U-tube Doug ( Mr. X) suggested I bought:
U Tube Directional Return Aquarium Outflow 3 4" 1" | eBay

I'll see what these Items come with, and then go from there on what else I need to purchase. If anyone knows from what i've shown please let me know. cant wait for this sump/fuge to be set up and remove this hob filter. Thanks so much.

I felt that way before I added my sump/refugium now it looks so much better without all the unnecessary things hanging on it

Man everything u r going through makes me both excited and nervous for the road ahead! (I'm trying to fit a 30gallon sump in a 5 gallon space)

Ok so I just got my new filters in the mail for the rodi unit. I swapped them out and just hooked it up to the faucet. It took about 15 mins for the water to flow through all the canisters. It spot out the red line first. When It got to the last canister the darker one I believe the di part once it filled up the good water came out the blue line- like it's supposed to. I don't know if there's a break in period for the new filters but here's some pics.

Old filters
image-2182373387.jpg

New filters

image-455849902.jpg

image-588840724.jpg

But it's still reading high on my Tds meter. I tested it in about 2 minutes after the water came out.

image-1301239908.jpg

Is this normal? Do I have to replace this part as well maybe ?

image-3488848145.jpg

Please help...thank you.

The Tds unit I bought off eBay came with a little screwdriver to calibrate it with some sort of solution but no solution was provided. What can I calibrate this with?

image-3349830300.jpg

image-394521270.jpg

The meter might be off a little if you have not calibrated it since you received it. Also on my unit, albeit an inline meter it says to give it ten minutes until an accurate reading is available.

I haven't read the whole thread but you also need to flush the RO membrane periodically for best results and definitely when installing a new RO membrane.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom