Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If I were you, I'd do the shrimp method. It is easier and cheaper. I did both methods. Didn't have any smell to either of them, just on the pure ammonia method overdosed and lengthened my cycle.

In terms of cheap filtration, on my 55 reef I run a 20 gal long as a sump. I bought this tank brand new and put it all together with a light for a refugium for 58 dollars. I added a pump I had laying around and was good to go. For a reef setup a sump setup is much better than a HOB filter, gives you extra water and room for a nice sized skimmer if you are going towards corals that need pristine water.

In terms of heater, since I think I recall you mentioning a heater in your post...I went and researched them at my LFS's. I ended up spending the extra money on one that you can dial into specific temps and is fully submersible. I set it, put it at the bottom of my sump and forgot about it. I don't recall much else about it.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So the heater would then go into the sump under my 55 tank instead of in the actual tank itself. So does the water pump out of the sump and into the tank and the intake pulls water from the tank and into the sump? I am a newbie at this and not a great Plumber.

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes thats how it works. Youll have a return pump pushing water back. There are two types of drains. Some people use full siphon overflows which are run risks of overflowing your tank should your siphon stop. Regular overflows require drilling holes in the tank but are worth it because the tank will drain only as much as you return pump is pushing in.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there a link/website where I can look at pricing on how to do this sump or is it something I can do my self. If theres something I can look at it would be helpful. My friend has a RO/DI unit hes bringing over now and were going to put water in the tank tonight and on Friday I am going to get salt from Petco when I buy a heater/filtration. What type of salt should I get and does anyone known the ratio for salt:water?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

For a sump you will need a tank about half the size or less your DT. You need to get glass cut to act as baffles which are glued in by aquarium safe silicone. Should look something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-96904052.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	127125

As for salt, the mix amount varies by brand so you will need to follow the directions on it. You will have to keep testing as you mix to make sure you get it right.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, thanks alot I appreciate it. Currently I have 2 over head lights that I beleive are t5 just basic lights. Theres 1 light for the left hood and 1 light for the right hood. I am interested in upgrading the lighting system? Do i need to or can I just buy new replacement bulbs for the 2 hoods? If so, what is the best light I can go for at an affordable price. I want to base my invert/coral stock off of the lighting I chose. LED can get really expensive. I saw this "Coral Maxx 1, 1 W LED system" for like 300 bucks. I dont want to spend that on lights you know. Any iDeas?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was looking for a filter today and saw this off ebay with free shipping for $79 can anyone chime in and let me know :
Fluval 306 A212 External Canister Filter up to 70 Gallons New In Box

#1. Would this be okay for a 55G tank
#2. Is this a good brand?

I am not familiar with canister filters. Do i run an intake hose to the back of the tank with a hook shaped hose that would suck water out and the same exact thing that would be the intake? Please help. Thank you.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just saw this and noticed a lot of people have this brand it says up to 55 gallon tanks and is only $39

NEW! MARINELAND BIO WHEEL PENGUIN 350 AQUARIUM POWER FILTER
For Aquariums Up to 55 Gallons.
Flow rated up to 350 gallons per hour!
No Oiling or Motor Maintenance
Required

Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive read bad things about canister filters in salt water. Penguin filters are good for FW but for SW I would go with an aquaclear 110. Its better for customizing your media.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Fluval on my 55g reef and its great! There are media baskets inside that you can change however you like. The only thing i that for sw, you want a filter thats rated about twice the size of your tank. If you're planning on running a skimmer too, then that would probably work, though. HOB filter for that size SW tank probably won't work too great.

Tags
55 gallon, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com