Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ordered it anyway just waiting for it to come in the mail. It's 4" diameter. Rather long for the sump tank even if I do out the 20l down there. I think it was 17 inches or so ...

If you don't use a filter sock, you are going to get a buildup on the bottom of the sump. if you can vacuum it out every once in a while with no trouble, then you don't need the filter sock. I would rather change socks than do this. Plus, one of my sumps is on the floor and impossible to start a gravity siphon for. I would need to use a pump to suck up the detritus.

I made a mess in my sump when I removed the filter sock. They were a pain to clean, so I replaced them with cheap panty hose.

My filter socks fill top quickly and made water close to overflowing and splashing so I removed them. My sump is on the floor too & I just use a turkey baster & suck it out when I do my skimmer cleaning.

Thanks for the advice. Since I already ordered the sock ill try it out. My sumps going to be on the floor as well under my stand.

I use two 7" diameter filter socks. they only take about 4 days to clog so I change them out every 3 days. i have a dozen of them and toss them all in the wash inside out about once a week.
Before this, all the stuff that's clogging those socks was ending up in my sumps.

I went along time with only one stock and after a few days and it getting clogged you will get sick of having to try and clean it and get it back in. Do yourself a favor and get like ten of them

I will look in to extra filter socks, besides the filter socks or pantyhose what else can I use? just go be more affordable - like a DIY?

On eBay you can get 5 stocks for $25. I also seen a YouTube video a few days ago with a guy doing DIY stocks. If you have a sewing machine it will be very easy and cheep to do. On YouTube just search DIY filter stocks

Thanks, I don't think i'll be sitting around sewing anytime soon, maybe i'll pick up those socks and just throw them in the wash like Doug said with a little bleach. I'm going to be asking a lot of questions this weekend because by Saturday the latest I want this all done, pending shipment of the sock.

Ok so I got the new ro membrane in the mail and hooked it up to my unit. This is 75gpd the old one I wasn't sure but when I removed it it was 50 gpd so that's a plus. It's been running for about 15 minutes and previously the Tds meter was reading 100+ now it's at 13. To my understanding its supposed to be at 0. Will this get there if I let it run longer? There's nothing else I can change on this unit. Everything is new now except for the lines themselves. Thanks!

So after about an hour and 45 minutes the reading on my Tds meter still says 11. Could it possibly be the $10 Tds meter is off by a little? Is there anyway to find out? It came with a screwdriver to calibrate it which I did not do not sure what kind of solution to use. Thanks.

Yes your meter if not calibrated may be off. Also are your checking the level after the DI stage? If so it should be zero. If after the RO you had 11 but before the DI that would be understandable.

Back
Top Bottom