Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do get a skimmer, the eshopps hang on back is the one I run on my 54g reef. I bought the psk100h, but I have a reef and the price difference was 10 bucks. You,could get away with the 75 model. Very easy to set up and the break in period was a few days. Try without, but if you need, it's a greats one for the price.

Good luck!

If you do get a skimmer, the eshopps hang on back is the one I run on my 54g reef. I bought the psk100h, but I have a reef and the price difference was 10 bucks. You,could get away with the 75 model. Very easy to set up and the break in period was a few days. Try without, but if you need, it's a greats one for the price.

Good luck!

Thank you, I was looking at that one as well. I saw it online and was going to order it if i needed to. I'm going to see how it does without the skimmer first, then if need be I will purchase it. with the protein being removed and all the gunk I would assume the water would be more clear? Stupid I know still a little bit of a newb:hide:

Yes, it should clearer. The eshopps was a replacement for an old skimmer that was in sump. This one out performs it hands down. Just make sure to clean out the foam on the retun every few days as I had an ever flow last night...super fun!

Sounds good thanks for the advice. I am waiting on my lights to come in... Bought them in eBay the other day didn't get any shipping information yet. Picked up some live Fiji rock had 2 Hawaii feather dusters on it already.

Picking up more live rock this weekend. Then the cycle process starts. Going to test the water after 24-48 hours when the rock is in and take it from there.

What do the reviews say about this skimmer? I know the eshopps hong on back and in sump work very well. I just dumped a boat load of nasty junk from mine today.

Couldn't find any reviews. I'm sure it'll be okay. Its cheap so I'm going to try it out bc I need a hob skimmer if I'm going to get one at all. Ill think about it.

Someone made a thread a while back asking if that skimmer was good. A member commented saying they bought that skimmer and it was a complete rip off and waste of their money. It's just a cheap piece of equipment that isn't efficient or great...you really get what you pay for in this hobby.

Thanks for the input. Definitely something I'm going to think about. Its $45 with free shipping.

I REALLY don't recommend you getting it. Basically, it's crap and it's very poor quality and doesn't function like it should. Telling you that you'd be wasting $50 that can go somewhere else. I bet making a skimmer out of water bottles and airstone (which is quite effective and cheap) would work better than that thing. If you want to go for it, then do, but it's really not worth trying.

The eshopps is 150 and I'm sure you can find free shipping. It is so worth it for a hob. I know it's more than you wanted to spend, but a skimmer is a very important part of the equipment, next to the lights in a reef.

I have the eshopps 100 works great for me no problems. People spend a lot of money on equipment and some is worth it but to keep your tank consistent weekly water changes and maint. goes the farthest. Not the most expensive toys.

Thank you I appreciate the helpful feedback. I will look into the eshopps 150 or 100 whichever.

I have mine on a 75 it's a hob I have a sump now but can't adapt it to fit in sump. doesnt look that bad tho.the only thing is the cup seals tight on it. Its hard to remove that's good I guess.once it's dailed in its good. Don't over tighten the nylon screw I did and had to use some epoxy.

Attachments

• image-1025686241.jpg
    image-1025686241.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 157
I wouldnt cheap out on a skimmer. I first bought an oddyssea skimmer off ebay for $40. I ended up upgrading my skimmer 2 times until i was satisfied. Might as well save yourself the trouble and invest in a good one.

So just a quick update. Finally got the salt mixture accurate. It was1.014-1.016 for a while. I spent about an hour last night gradually adding salt and mixing it in. Going to test it tn last night it read 1.022. Still have room for more water if needed. My girlfriend is picking up live rock for me today from a lady that needed to get rid of it. $100 for about 50lbs. She stated its fully cured and came from a tank that was going for 10+ years and has a lot of color. Gotta wait to see that one. Also my lighting system should be at my house by the time I get off work! So excited. I love this hobby :)

My girlfriend put the rockin the tank for me I'm going to play around with it when I get home. These are the pics that she sent me.

image-1622368606.jpg

image-3695475512.jpg

image-668458799.jpg

image-980060269.jpg

In regards to the salt mixture. The closer up one I took last night and the one a little further away was taken now, I feel like my tank is eating salt. I'm going to wash and retest it when I get home.

Sometimes your salt readings when starting up may fluctuate because it hasnt mixed.

Water will evaporate salt stays the same unless you actually take water out with a syphon and replace with fresh.

So make sure your measuring correctly , stirring it and checking SG and salinity before adding it

Back
Top Bottom