Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do clean my canister every week with my PWC. Only takes about 10 min and my waters fine, corals are doing well and growing. It's not a big deal IMO to clean it weekly.

I noticed the aquaclear is a HOB filter and it's buy in now for 70$ on ebay. I am going to petco on friday to see if they have it cheaper or if its 5-10 bucks more ill just buy it to have it that day. Is this a good price. It states
AquaClear 110/500 Aquarium Power Filter Aqua Clear A620

I am not familiar with canister filters so I would feel more comfortable going this route if its a HOB filter. No offense beengirl! Thanks for the help so far. Next I am looking into lighting. I currently have 2 hoods that I can put lights in but its only 1 bulb per side of the tank ( 2 bulbs total 1 on each side) any ideas?

I'm new to salt as well. I set up a 55 about a month ago from spare parts I had from a freshwater tank I had years ago.

As far as filters I run 2 merineland 350 HOB filters. One with regular filter cartridges and the other I filled with live rock rubble. They are relatively inexpensive (buy online it's cheaper).

Heater: I think mine is a fluval 200 watt. It's rated for up to 65 gallons. Again not very expensive online.

I bought 50 lbs of dry rock from reefrock.net it was a very good price and you get 40lbs of sand free. Great quality as well (IMO). I seeded with 5lbs of live rock from LFS and some reef starter. I added another 15lbs of sand to give me about a 2" base.

I didn't use ammonia or raw shrimp. Just let it stabilize for about a week the added 2 yellow tail damsels to get things going.

That's worked well for me, but there are many different ways to go. The only thing I wish I'd done different is to use different fish. Something like green chromis. The Damsels are kind of aggressive when adding new fish.

Hope that helps.

These sites below have em for $75+free shipping. AC filters are made by hagen the same brand as fluval. The difference between these and marineland HOBs is that on marinelands theres is no room to add anything. Youre limited to that blue cartridge. In an aquaclear there are trays that you can easily place what whatever you want and it will flow in a bottom to up direction similar to a canister filter. I have owned a marineland emperor 280 and 400 and i still ditched em for aquaclears. Im not knockin on marineland filters. They are very stong and clean good but you will be forced to buy cartridges or make them yourself while you can just clean out the sponge on the AC. The 110 is rated for 110 (twice your tank) so it should be ok. For a tank as big as yours tbough youre probably going to need a good skimmer. Aqua C remora skimmers are one of the best HOB skimmers you can get IMO. Check these links out.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3610&pcatid=3610

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Power-Filters/I/AquaClear-Power-Filters

Thanks for the Info so far. Before reading this I ended up buying the marine land pro series 400 bio wheel filter. It's rated up to 90 gallons so it should be good. I bought a 150w aqueon submersible heater as well. The sand I got was natures ocean live aragonite substrate. I bought 3 16lb bags. It was 25$ each bag. Ill post a pic I think I need 1 more bad because the base is only 1-2 inches. I bought 2 hydrometers. 1 to test the water when I'm making it and 1 that submerges in the tank to keep an eye on the salt mixture as my tank matures. I am content so far and happy with what I have now so far.

My friend already has a ro/di unit he's letting me borrow to make/ mix the water tomorrow so that's going to be done then. I was lookin online eBay and saw a unit for 80+ 20 shipping. Any idea where I can pick one up cheaper?

As for live rock I'm going to check out reef2go. Petden a local store sells live rock but it didn't look all that great and it was 7.99/lb and if you bought over 30lbs it was 6.99/lb.

Rock is next so any input would be great. I figure I'd need about 50lbs.

image-432732347.jpg

image-1784300277.jpg

image-815688510.jpg

image-798209490.jpg

image-668326905.jpg

image-281217608.jpg

Looking at lighting tonight. Currently I have 2 hoods ontop of the 55g tank that equals 48'' total. Each hood only has 1 bulb option so I would have to get new bulbs anyway I was thinking about swapping everything out for a new system. I was looking at these two options:
48” 216W 4x54 T5 HO Aquarium Light Marine Reef Fluorescent Actinic w. 8 LED lights as well as the 4 t5's
$103
or an all LED system which is

48" - 51" Aquarium LED Lighting Lunar Bright Fish Tank Hood CE NEW 65% brighter
for $75

any ideas?

So just a little update. I bought the 4, t5's with the LEDs as well shipping should arrive this week. I picked it up for $103 not bad.... I put some more and in as well as the full water with the salt mixed in all nice. Got the filter running and put 2 circulation pumps one on each side. Rocks are next just looking for a great deal. Anyone have any suggestions let me know.

image-2347746167.jpg

image-3847062445.jpg

TommyP said:
So just a little update. I bought the 4, t5's with the LEDs as well shipping should arrive this week. I picked it up for $103 not bad.... I put some more and in as well as the full water with the salt mixed in all nice. Got the filter running and put 2 circulation pumps one on each side. Rocks are next just looking for a great deal. Anyone have any suggestions let me know.

That's a great deal. Where did you order them from? I'm looking for new lighting as well, but everything is really expensive.

That's a great deal. Where did you order them from? I'm looking for new lighting as well, but everything is really expensive.

I picked them up off of e-bay. I will let you know how the quality is when I hook them up. The reason why I got the system with t5's and LEDs is bc if the LEDs go i feel that you're screwed. At least I can replace the t5s down the road.

bump bump any ideas on good deals for live rock? I need to put some in my tank and was planning on doing it this weekend since i get paid on Thursday. How many lbs would be needed/recommended for a 55g tank. I want a nice clean aquascape. DRY/live ratio?

saltwaterfish.com has rock on special once and awhile. It is really up to you if you go with live or macro rock...it doesn't really matter, it is all live once you are done cycling anyway. I bought all my LR, for both my 36 and 55, off of saltwaterfish.com since they are one of the few that carry caribbean LR, which i love. In my 55 I have about 60 lbs of LR. the 1-1.5 lbs per gallon ratio is a good way to guestimate it.

Thanks I appreciate that. I will look into this when I get home. I would love to pick the rock out in person but my lfs sells live rock for 6.99/lb so i dont have or want to spend $400 on rocks lol. Also, when i went to petco they have live fiji rock that looked good (i bought some for my 10G and it was a nice size rock for only 10.99. I think i might do that route, hoping it wasnt a mistake from the cashier.

I was wondering if its totally necessary to have a skimmer on my tank. I want to make sure everything gets done properly and have no sump/refuge so it would have to be a HOB skimmer. do i really NEED one?

What are the benefits?
will my tank be okay without a skimmer?

t/y in advance.

also, when can i put my cuc in? after the live/base rock i assume. how many snails,crabs,etc should i put in a 55?

It's not NEEDED but it will help keep nitrates down so I'd recommend getting one unless you WILL do WC every week. And add CUC right after cycle. I'd say 50 snails/hermits

Thank you. Is there a limit to shrimp? I currently have 1 peppermint shrimp in my 10g he hides all the time once my 55 is cycled i am going to acclimate him in as well with my clown and rock i have in there already. can i take some of the rock out thats in there now just to help the cycle along until i can afford to buy new rock. if there are some zoas on the rock/feather duster can i move it over or not yet. thanks.

Umm... Limit on shrimp idk... I had 3 in my 29 temp. And they were fighting. As far as moving the rock, ya you can but any feather dusters or coral will probably die.

I wouldn't say a skimmer is required, but I have one on my 55g reef, and it helps to keep the nitrates down. I would wait and see how your nitrates are after your tank is stocked before you rule out a skimmer entirely. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom