Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if that was sarcastic or not lol but thank you. I'm getting happy with the way it's coming along. Spending time at the beach today even though the weather just got crappy makes me wanna go to the lfs and bring home a new friend.

So I pulled the trigger. I sold an old Iphone 4 to my girlfriends friend for $150 so I basically got the LED system (2 fixtures) for half price. It should arrive between Tuesday 5/21 - Tues 5/28. I can't wait. I put my old system on CL hopefully I can get some $ for it. Pics to come with the new system whenever I get it. I will take some last pictures before I get rid of my current lights to compare.

Just make sure you acclimate the corals to yhe lights. You don't want to torch everything.

I know, thanks! I'm going to figure it out once I get them hung. I am going to place a bedsheet over the tank while I hang them from the ceiling. Once that's done and they are level I will slowly turn them on. Any recommendation as far as the knobs go. How much to turn them up at first? equal or more blues? I'd hate to torch everything like you mentioned.

I started mine at 40 blue and 20 white. Every 7-10 days turn them up 10, Like 50-30,60-40 until you get them were you and your corals are happy . 100 percent is not necessary the goal.

this is 50% whites 40% blue my corals love this light
img_2481986_0_f41563c8268f3a858a5d59e63876f26c.jpg

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get these lights. Trying to save and enjoy a reef is like a catch 22. At least hopefully these lights will last a while, and no bulb changes are necessary and can't beat LEDs. I can have anything in this tank now. (coral wise) #excited

don't think so but I do know puffers only nips certain types of corals
so if you wanted to take a chance , he could eat all the small fish in the tank too along with snails and crabs

I think it's hit or miss with the puffers. I keep a bennet's puffer in my 55g when it was still a fowler and he was a juvenile. Now I have a growing reef am I have found he will eat some corals and not others. So far he likes the taste of Duncan's, lobo and any hard corals but leaves my frogspawn, hammers, torch, cloves, stars, pipe organ and zoas alone. He loves the inverts tho, any shrimp or crabs and small snails but is ok with my large banded trochus and conchs. Hope that helps :)

Attachments

• image-4150379183.jpg
    image-4150379183.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 68
Thank you, yes it does. The few snails/hermits I have are an important part of my cuc so I wouldn't want to risk that. I also love my 2 cleaner shrimp and wouldn't want them to be dinner. Beautiful fish though.

So I pulled the trigger. I sold an old Iphone 4 to my girlfriends friend for $150 so I basically got the LED system (2 fixtures) for half price. It should arrive between Tuesday 5/21 - Tues 5/28. I can't wait. I put my old system on CL hopefully I can get some $ for it. Pics to come with the new system whenever I get it. I will take some last pictures before I get rid of my current lights to compare.

Congrats! Hope they arrive soon. After you get the LED lights you you will be glad you did it.

Congrats! Hope they arrive soon. After you get the LED lights you you will be glad you did it.

I hope so. As long as it's more energy efficient and better quality light for my corals that's perfect. As long as I don't have an issue hanging them i'll be fine. I'm thinking about hanging them 8'' or so above the water and checking for shadows. Working from there. I can't wait to get some sps frags down the line and have more of a mixed reef. Right now I only have lps and softies.

I got the reef breeders and I debated for awhile cus I liked my t5. But man what a different I love them and so does my corals. I was going to lower mine to 8" but I like the light pattern and plenty of light I started out at 20- 40 and bump them a little each week not to burn them. You will be pleased and can keep sps no problem just don't under estimate there power cause they throw out some par.

I got the reef breeders and I debated for awhile cus I liked my t5. But man what a different I love them and so does my corals. I was going to lower mine to 8" but I like the light pattern and plenty of light I started out at 20- 40 and bump them a little each week not to burn them. You will be pleased and can keep sps no problem just don't under estimate there power cause they throw out some par.

Sounds good. You mentioned you were going to lower yours to 8'' but you liked the light pattern. How high above your tank are they hung now? I may of missed it..

About 10" I was going to add one of those quick links but realize there is plenty of light. its easier to lower than raise on my setup so lowing them is no problem if I needed to but I won't .

Back
Top Bottom