Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyP

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all.

I am quite new in the fish hobby. I have a 29G FW tank thats been running great & currently I have a 10 gallon salt water tank that has about 20 lbs of live rock, some frags on them, a smaller rock that has mushrooms, an anenome ( XL in size ) since I was planning on doing this 55 a SW and 1 clown fish. I have 3 snails, 1 emerald crab, and 1 peppermint shrimp. I recently added a sand sifting sea star as well. He's interesting always digging and climbing up the walls.

Got a good deal( I thought) on Craigslist for a 55G tank w. stand. It has the hood with 2 lights (one for each side of tank) only 1 bulb works for now but its very dim. He also gave me a 7-8'' bubble wand and an air pump ( 2 outlets) all for $100. I have a picture on my phone ill post up later.

This is going to be some sort of a slow build, putting everything together but that gives the tank plenty of time to cycle and make sure everything gets done properly the first time, unlike my other tanks.

I am on a very strict budget. The tank did not come with a filter. I have heard great things about HOB filters, and this is what I am used to having so I want to go that route. Very easy to clean and they are quiet. I would assume doing 2 filters (1 on each side of the tank, the cut outs in top hood are already open for it). Any one know what type of HOB filter(s) I can get at a good price? Or is anyone on Long Island need to get rid of one?

As far as a heater goes, what watt heater do I need for the 55G tank? 1 or 2?

I was thinking of doing live rock to help the cycle of the tank but doing some base rock as well to save on costs. Eventually, correct me if I am wrong, this will become live after a yr or so. I want some sort of an aquascape that starts low on the left rises in the middle then goes low on the right like a normal scape. The substrate for the ground I wanted to do sand like I have in my 10G now. On a 55G tank how far up from the bottom would you recommend to go? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5+ inches? I want a nice bottom since I have a sea star and plan on getting some sand sifters to help maintain the tank.

When cycling the tank, Should i take anything out of my 10g i have now nd put it in the 55 when its filled with sand & water. I do not want to put the anenome/clown/starfish in there until its fully cycled. I heard to help the cycle as well to put in a raw shrimp and let it break down in the tank? When doing this how often should I change the water? When should I check the levels?

That's pretty much it for now. Once I get the water in ( still trying to figure out what to do) my bedroom is where the tank is, and the closest bathroom/sink/water access is down the steps around the corner. I can pull the hose from outside and bring it through my window and mix the salt water in my room or my buddy has a machine that makes the salt water drip out into buckets which I am probably going that route. He has a tank thats been set up for a while so he knows the salt/water ratio for making water.

But once I get the water/sand in the tank and throw some live rock in there I will post up some more pictures when I get a filter(s)/and 2 circulation pumps going. I was planning on doing 1 on each side of the tank kinda facing eachother.

Any input would be great otherwise I'm on my own! I want to do it right, as affordable as possible and make it look great!

Thanks, Tom.

Glad you got a good deal on CL :).
You can do a DIY sump and pay for plumbing w/ about the same amount of filter(s) you'd need on a 55. Those tanks are better off w/ canister filters or sumps, especially if you want to keep corals. Not saying it's easier, it's just considered a better method of filtration. Just get 1 heater, it should say what wattage for how many gallons.

Yes you can buy mostly base rock and some LR to seed it. Whatever ratio you want is fine, some people do 70% base, 30 % LR some more or less. I personally did all BRS pukani dry rock and love the look and how porous it is, no pests, and easier to aquascape. So you don't even need LR if you don't want it.

I have about 3 inches of sand, but I anything works. I'd say just keep the 10 and 55 separate and don't move things around so much (since I remember your 10 is pretty new).

Yes, shrimp or pure ammonia is another source of ammonia to get ammonia up to 4-5ppm which is what you want. LR has some die off, but usually not enough to have a strong cycle and have enough BB to support the livestock that you later put in your tank. You only do a water change when ammonia and nitrite are at zero. Maybe wait until nitrates are 80 or something pretty high, then do a PWC. If you do water changes during the cycle, you will be delaying it.
More on the cycle: Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

I know how annoying putting my first batch of water in my 70 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump since my tank is upstairs and the RO/DI system is downstairs. Every week I have to haul 15 gallons of water of old water down and 15 new gallons up. It's tiresome, but I'm gaining muscle :lol:.

Good luck, I'll be following on this build :)

lol thanks! I Just want to make sure i cycle it properly so thanks for the link! Yea ill be gaining some muscle as well haha. thanks for the luck, im sure ill need it!

TommyP said:
Hey all.

I am quite new in the fish hobby. I have a 29G FW tank thats been running great & currently I have a 10 gallon salt water tank that has about 20 lbs of live rock, some frags on them, a smaller rock that has mushrooms, an anenome ( XL in size ) since I was planning on doing this 55 a SW and 1 clown fish. I have 3 snails, 1 emerald crab, and 1 peppermint shrimp. I recently added a sand sifting sea star as well. He's interesting always digging and climbing up the walls.

Got a good deal( I thought) on Craigslist for a 55G tank w. stand. It has the hood with 2 lights (one for each side of tank) only 1 bulb works for now but its very dim. He also gave me a 7-8'' bubble wand and an air pump ( 2 outlets) all for $100. I have a picture on my phone ill post up later.

This is going to be some sort of a slow build, putting everything together but that gives the tank plenty of time to cycle and make sure everything gets done properly the first time, unlike my other tanks.

I am on a very strict budget. The tank did not come with a filter. I have heard great things about HOB filters, and this is what I am used to having so I want to go that route. Very easy to clean and they are quiet. I would assume doing 2 filters (1 on each side of the tank, the cut outs in top hood are already open for it). Any one know what type of HOB filter(s) I can get at a good price? Or is anyone on Long Island need to get rid of one?

As far as a heater goes, what watt heater do I need for the 55G tank? 1 or 2?

I was thinking of doing live rock to help the cycle of the tank but doing some base rock as well to save on costs. Eventually, correct me if I am wrong, this will become live after a yr or so. I want some sort of an aquascape that starts low on the left rises in the middle then goes low on the right like a normal scape. The substrate for the ground I wanted to do sand like I have in my 10G now. On a 55G tank how far up from the bottom would you recommend to go? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5+ inches? I want a nice bottom since I have a sea star and plan on getting some sand sifters to help maintain the tank.

When cycling the tank, Should i take anything out of my 10g i have now nd put it in the 55 when its filled with sand & water. I do not want to put the anenome/clown/starfish in there until its fully cycled. I heard to help the cycle as well to put in a raw shrimp and let it break down in the tank? When doing this how often should I change the water? When should I check the levels?

That's pretty much it for now. Once I get the water in ( still trying to figure out what to do) my bedroom is where the tank is, and the closest bathroom/sink/water access is down the steps around the corner. I can pull the hose from outside and bring it through my window and mix the salt water in my room or my buddy has a machine that makes the salt water drip out into buckets which I am probably going that route. He has a tank thats been set up for a while so he knows the salt/water ratio for making water.

But once I get the water/sand in the tank and throw some live rock in there I will post up some more pictures when I get a filter(s)/and 2 circulation pumps going. I was planning on doing 1 on each side of the tank kinda facing eachother.

Any input would be great otherwise I'm on my own! I want to do it right, as affordable as possible and make it look great!

Thanks, Tom.

Wow that's a long post... Let's see how much of this I can help you with. :)

Idk about the filters cause I don't use filters on my sw tanks.

The heater I'm not sure about but I think for a 55 you need a 2 watt.

The base rock should turn live in just a few months actually. Might take up to 6. But good plan to save on costs

Good luck with the aquascape, sounds good just make sure to have some caves.

The sand I'd do at least 2" possibly more depending on what sandsifters you plan to have.

Anything you add from your other tank will just make your cycle go faster.

Put the shrimp in there and let it rot. Don't do any water changes till the cycle is over. Test the water whenever you want. Your waiting till it'll read ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-some high number.

i know it was a long read lol i was really bored at work the other day so i decided to type away. thanks for taking the time to read and for the advice. I heard as well to buy ammonia from ACE hardware store? i really dont want my bedroom to rot like a decaying shrimp especially since its getting cold now in NY im not leaving the windows open for it to air out. Anyone know the brand or type I have to purchase?

Yes you can buy ammonia from ACE just make sure it has no fragrance. Wouldn't blame you about not wanting to smell decaying shrimp!

I heard a way to make sure it's the right stuff is to shake it and make sure there's no bubbles

Yep, Khij got it right! The ammonia from ACE is just called janitorial strength ammonia. But not many places carry the right kind. It can't have any surfactants in it. If you shake it an there are bubbles, then it has surfactants and you can't use it. No bubbles when you shake it is what you want.

If I were you, I'd do the shrimp method. It is easier and cheaper. I did both methods. Didn't have any smell to either of them, just on the pure ammonia method overdosed and lengthened my cycle.

In terms of cheap filtration, on my 55 reef I run a 20 gal long as a sump. I bought this tank brand new and put it all together with a light for a refugium for 58 dollars. I added a pump I had laying around and was good to go. For a reef setup a sump setup is much better than a HOB filter, gives you extra water and room for a nice sized skimmer if you are going towards corals that need pristine water.

In terms of heater, since I think I recall you mentioning a heater in your post...I went and researched them at my LFS's. I ended up spending the extra money on one that you can dial into specific temps and is fully submersible. I set it, put it at the bottom of my sump and forgot about it. I don't recall much else about it.

So the heater would then go into the sump under my 55 tank instead of in the actual tank itself. So does the water pump out of the sump and into the tank and the intake pulls water from the tank and into the sump? I am a newbie at this and not a great Plumber.

Yes thats how it works. Youll have a return pump pushing water back. There are two types of drains. Some people use full siphon overflows which are run risks of overflowing your tank should your siphon stop. Regular overflows require drilling holes in the tank but are worth it because the tank will drain only as much as you return pump is pushing in.

Is there a link/website where I can look at pricing on how to do this sump or is it something I can do my self. If theres something I can look at it would be helpful. My friend has a RO/DI unit hes bringing over now and were going to put water in the tank tonight and on Friday I am going to get salt from Petco when I buy a heater/filtration. What type of salt should I get and does anyone known the ratio for salt:water?

For a sump you will need a tank about half the size or less your DT. You need to get glass cut to act as baffles which are glued in by aquarium safe silicone. Should look something like this:

image-96904052.jpg

As for salt, the mix amount varies by brand so you will need to follow the directions on it. You will have to keep testing as you mix to make sure you get it right.

Hey, thanks alot I appreciate it. Currently I have 2 over head lights that I beleive are t5 just basic lights. Theres 1 light for the left hood and 1 light for the right hood. I am interested in upgrading the lighting system? Do i need to or can I just buy new replacement bulbs for the 2 hoods? If so, what is the best light I can go for at an affordable price. I want to base my invert/coral stock off of the lighting I chose. LED can get really expensive. I saw this "Coral Maxx 1, 1 W LED system" for like 300 bucks. I dont want to spend that on lights you know. Any iDeas?

I was looking for a filter today and saw this off ebay with free shipping for $79 can anyone chime in and let me know :
Fluval 306 A212 External Canister Filter up to 70 Gallons New In Box

#1. Would this be okay for a 55G tank
#2. Is this a good brand?

I am not familiar with canister filters. Do i run an intake hose to the back of the tank with a hook shaped hose that would suck water out and the same exact thing that would be the intake? Please help. Thank you.

Just saw this and noticed a lot of people have this brand it says up to 55 gallon tanks and is only $39

NEW! MARINELAND BIO WHEEL PENGUIN 350 AQUARIUM POWER FILTER
For Aquariums Up to 55 Gallons.
Flow rated up to 350 gallons per hour!
No Oiling or Motor Maintenance
Required

Ive read bad things about canister filters in salt water. Penguin filters are good for FW but for SW I would go with an aquaclear 110. Its better for customizing your media.

I have a Fluval on my 55g reef and its great! There are media baskets inside that you can change however you like. The only thing i that for sw, you want a filter thats rated about twice the size of your tank. If you're planning on running a skimmer too, then that would probably work, though. HOB filter for that size SW tank probably won't work too great.

Back
Top Bottom