Tonys 75gl Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dang, going nice on your first saltwater build ;) Nicely done you won't regret it!

My dad brought me home the aqueon circulation pumps by suprise.... Should I return them and get the 1050 K instead... I'm worried about the suction cup b/c no magnet with them.

And is sugar fine sand good for just a regular reef tank... I'm going to put a Mandarin in there when I get Tom of pods established, idk if sand effects them or some bottom dwellers

How is your sump laid out? Usually have the skimmer in the drain area. No room? I think you will have bubbles in the tank if you have the skimmer in the return portion of the sump. Maybe others will chime in, since I just built my first sump a month ago.

I know I will have bubble but no room for it in first 2sections b/c I'm doing a fuge as well... I was thinking of using some rock next to the bubble diffuser or something to that effect

If you plan on having a fuge in the middle, the skimmer to the right of it will skim up your pods.

From reading, you will never be able to (or have a very hard time) establishing and maintaining a big enough pod supply for a mandarin. Maybe you could find one eating prepared foods?

Flow is flow. As long as they flow and aren't too noisy (I always ended up going with koralias because of the noise issue) they should be fine. Try them out and see if you like them!

Yeah, I was going to make a rubble pile in the back of my tank and grab a rock every week from the fuge to try to reseed it.... Plus I'm going to try to get it on prepared food.

They said the aqueons were like exactly the same and $13 bucks cheaper just no magnet only the suction cup but idk if I trust it

Thanks... Hopefully I can fill it with some rock soon so I can get this cycle underway, lol

Returned my aqueon 950s and got one K 1050 and the eheim true temp heater... I'll be getting another K 1050 before I anything to the tank other than the live rock

Should I mix salt a day before I add rock or same day?

you should mix the salt water at least a few hours before. So you get it mixed and up to temp.

I should be adding most of my Rock tomorrow, I have the sump measured do it doesn't overflow but when I add the rock and the water raises if I just siphon water out will my salinity stay where I have it?

I just picked up a refractometer today so I could add my salt to get it ready for the rock.

I don't know how it all goes together just yet... 1st salt tank

If you just have to siphon out SW to allow for the water displacement from the rock, it won't effect your salinity. Only if you replace that SW with FW will your salinity go down. I'm looking forward to the finished product! Working out a 75 myself right now.

Okay, thanks... Same, lol.... Love ur rimless build by the way

Do I get my skimmer up and running before I add my rock? To keep the salinity more stable?

Skimmer has nothing to do with salinity. They remove bad stuff from your water. You might aswell get it up and running though cause they have a breakin period.

Yeah, and make like a 5gl bucket to compensate for the lost level in my sump?

I want to get your guys take on my wish list of fish so far for my tank:

Pink spotted goby
Bicolor Blenny
Female leopard wrasse
2 false percula clowns
Maybe a manderin(depends if on the amount of pods I have down the line)
And some type of a smaller tang, been seeing a lot of different bristle tooth and kole tangs at my lfs

Also maybe a cleaner shrimp or something and some snails

Back
Top Bottom