Tonys 75gl Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. D said:
I'm seeing little white bugs all over my glass. Too small to "actually" see but I see them running on the glass when my moons are on.

Are these the pods mandarins eat?

Also my algae is disappearing but still growing back. Just a stage in the tanks life or problem?
Nitrates to me look 5 or less in person.

image-1586342129.jpg

I also get my RO at the Lfs they do not sell RODI so TDS reads around 6-12 they claim on RO but all of there tanks have 0 algae but are also pretty old

Anyone know of some good ways to cool your tank... It's getting hot and my tanks claiming to about 84 everyone looks fine but I don't like it

Can't remember if you are running a sump, but if so, get a small fan down there and open up the cabinet. This helped me a lot and I just have one cabinet door slightly propped open.

If you're not running a sump, you will be limited to a fan blowing on the DT or a chiller unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

Okay thanks... I do have a sump set up do I'll try that

A more permanent solution is to cut a hole in the door and cover it with mesh, speaker covers work well as mesh covers. Run a small fan inside and the mesh allows it to breath without keeping a door open.

Yeah, I may but idk if I want to cut the stand... Right now I have a house fan circulating the air under/around the tank

If you are worried about appearance you could drill a hole in the side of the stand and cover it

Don't cut the stand, cut the door. You don't want to weaken the stand and doors and structural. Just be sure to get a cover before cutting the hole so you can cut the hole to match, also having a hole at both ends will help circulate better. With my stand it has a door at each end so one approximately 6 inch hole in each door would allow it to breath nicely.

Well the heat wave is over and the house fan kept the tank at 78-80... I think I will get some small fans for under the tank b/c idk if I feel comfortable modding the stand

Like I said if you put holes in the doors it's no issue, if it was your stand would collapse when the door is open. Glad to hear the fan worked for you. Once summer hits here I may have to do some cooling so ill keep the fan in mind. Unfortunately I don't have a sump so the fan will be visible.

Yeah, I was able to point the house fan at the corner above my tank on the ceiling and that worked without open doors and it kept my room nice to, lol

New addition

image-3145310438.jpg

Algae is almost exclusive to that rock so with a few more days and water changes hopefully it will be gone

Got a rock with some orange and green zoas on it w/ a Kenya tree... I really don't like the Kenya tree when the time comes how could I get rid of it, hopping to remove it fully

Just cut it off at the base, as close as you can to the rock, with a razor blade. Then possibly scrape anything left, off of the rock, to try to prevent it from coming back.

Thanks

I was told to acclimate them in the middle of the tank 10" up... Can I drop them to about 4" in a week if the flow is relatively close to the same.

I'm just asking because I already have a rock by itself do the zoas shouldn't spread I would guess since its not touching the structure?

They opens up some& the Kenya tree

image-2233007184.jpg

If the tree is invasive will it kill other corals or some it's near?

Yeah, you should be able to drop them down, but it depends on the amount of light you've got. I would do it and watch them to see how they react over a few days time.
With the Kenya tree, they can proliferate quickly. They won't seek out another coral, but they will compete with one if given the chance. As long as you keep it away from the zoos, you would be fine to leave it in the tank. If you see it is spreading too much, you can just remove what you don't like.

I have a 4bulb aquatic life fixture(individual reflectors).
The Kenya is right smack in the middle if them growing

That should be enough light for at least soft corals.
If the Kenya tree is right in the middle of the zoos, than it should be removed, or it will grow over them and kill them. Just cut it out with a knife.

Okay :)

Well I got a hitch hiker on this coral rock...

A black crab w/ fuzzy body and white or clear claws

Back
Top Bottom