Too big of a skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquadan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just a couple weeks out from setting up my 40 breeder with a 40 breeder sump. I am having second thoughts on the skimmer I bought. It's a reef octopus nwb 200. I know people say to get a skimmer bigger than "called for" but do you think I will have issued with such a large skimmer? Also I have heard of putting your skimmer on a timer, can there be problems with this? Thanks for any advice

You didn't mess around!! If it's for a fish breeding tank, you're not going to hurt anything having that much of an oversized skimmer...... If it's for a reef tank, it depends on what you want to keep. Most softies & LPS like (or require) a little bit of nutrients in the water, so over-skimming is a possibility...... That's when you'd want to (and, yes you can) run it on a timer so it's not cleaning 24/7.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. My thinking on getting such a large one was I'm already thinking about an upgrade and this way I have a skimmer that'll work on a 125.

No problem..... And, yes, that's an excellent choice for a 125. That'll handle a pretty good bioload.

If I do run this skimmer on a timer what would be a good cycle? 12hr on 12 off?

Good gracious lol. you took plus one to a whole new level haha. You'll definitely have clean water.

too large of a skimmer..? blasphemy! lol :D
Well a skimmer rated at 250 gallons and a 750 GPH pump is a little much on a 40 gallon system. look at it this way, It will skim the whole tank capacity approx. 19 times every hour or about every 3-4 minutes lol Biggest is not always best.

So do you think it would be best to use it only part of the day or get a smaller one? I am going to have roughly 25 gal in my sump if that helps. Maybe I could get a smaller pump for it. I'm really starting to regret my purchase.

I, personally, would just run it on a timer. Like 12 on 12 off, but if you see your water is still too clean then just lower the time the skimmer is on.

I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks all

Well a skimmer rated at 250 gallons and a 750 GPH pump is a little much on a 40 gallon system. look at it this way, It will skim the whole tank capacity approx. 19 times every hour or about every 3-4 minutes lol Biggest is not always best.

Jokingly tim dang don't go all math wiz on me lol

Jokingly tim dang don't go all math wiz on me lol

I know but some still may not know why its bad to "over-skim" a reef tank. That math sometimes puts it into perspective. I prefer more water turning over inside the DT tank rather than through the sump/refugium in my tanks.

Don't worry about the flow in the DT, I got a wp25 for in there. :)

Back
Top Bottom