Too many bubbles??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am still having problems with tiny bubbles returning from my fluval 204 filter into the tank. I checked the whole unit and didn't find any leaks...also, i am getting some bubbles returning from my cpr bak pak skimmer. I installed the little sponge that came with the skimmer in the return pipe to help stop these bubbles, but it doesn't seem to be working. So, every once in a while, I will have alot of little tiny bubbles floating around in my tank...Besides not looking so good, will this have any ill effect on anything in the tank??? I doubt it would, but being a beginner, I could be very wrong! Thanks for any help. :drinking:

It could be you have air trapped in the canister filter. Tip the canister side to side a little and see if you cant get the air out of the unit.

Also, I would use the manual Primer Pump and pump it up really well. It helps to fill the canister with water, and I believe will push the air out if you give it a good rogering.

I will give them both a try.....but what about the bubbles comming from my BAK PAK?? Its not gonna hurt anything right? Other than the fact it looks stupid???

Does your skimmer have a bubble baffle? If so, don't put the filter in the return pipe, place it over the opening in the bottome of your bubble baffle. If you clog up your return pipe, you could cause the water level in your skimmer to rise, which will change the efficiency of your skimming (could be good, could be bad, depends on your skimmer, i guess).

Not to worry you too much, but I've heard tell that the bubbles can sometimes still have toxins attached to them. But more often, I've heard that they are harmless. If your packing some delicates like the corals and anenomes, then I wouldn't take a chance, and I would get a bubble baffle ASAP. Fish only, you have time to DIY. HTH.

i don't think i have a bubble baffle...what is it and how could i DIY???? the filter sponge came with the skimmer for that purpose, it says it goes in the return pipe... will this still make the water rise??? it seems to be at the same level...

A bubble baffle is a small, open toped plastic box that goes around the ruturn pipe on the skimmer. This box also has an open slot in the bottom. The filter material you are talking about, or similar material, is placed over the opening in the bottom of the box. The only way that water from your skimmer has to exit, is the hole with the filter over it. The bubbles, are "trapped" in the box, and most rise to the surface inside the box, without spilling into the aquarium. the rest are caught in the filter and are seperated, so the water coming from the skimmer has no bubbles when it leaves the baffle.

for DIY, you could just make a small acrylic box, a few inches by a few inches, that will fit around your return pipe. I would do it with 4 sides of acrylic, about 5 or 6 inches deep. Also, I would use a piece of acrylic to cover about half of the bottom opening. Then cover the opening with the filter (you can get more at the lfs), and attach the box to the return line with plastic fasteners.

if you need more help, PM me and i will get with you with a diagram.

Back
Top Bottom