Too many PWCs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlos69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Stupid question is there such a thing as too many pwcs? Like 20% every 5 days any side effects to that i just like to keep on it and enjoy keeping the tank clean.

Stupid question is there such a thing as too many pwcs? Like 20% every 5 days any side effects to that i just like to keep on it and enjoy keeping the tank clean.

Not so long as you're checking your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates regularly. I wouldn't vacuum the gravel every 5 days tho.

Karlos69 said:

Can you keep that up indefinitely? If there was something going on in your tank (sick, meds, bloom) then I'd say no.

But in my experience once, twice a week and the fishies get settled into it. If I miss a day no biggie, but IMO if you do it everyday and then you can't do it for a few days it could have repercussions.

Consistency in many things (food, lights, etc.) keeps fish happy/healthy is my motto.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

The purpose of PWC`s is to dilute excessive nutrients and replenish trace elements. A couple a week is not too much. I do weekly PWC`s.

I do 2 5g water changes on my 55g tank. One on Monday and one on Thursday. I also test my Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Nitrates and Phospahtes on those days aswell. I usually do a 15g water change every other month

Back
Top Bottom