Too much Circulation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon fish only tank. The tank has a 5" DSB. I have finished cycling and have just added some hermits and a sand sifting snail.

The movement of all the critters is kicking up my sand, which my two powerheads is circulating around the tank. This makes it cloudy, which I don't like.

with a 29 gallon tank, I have two maxi jet 60's. There's also a power filter running at 170 GPH. Is this too much circulation? That's 16.89 turnovers per hour. Should I remove one powerhead? That would give me a turnover rate of 11.37. However, that would reduce the random turbulence in the tank.

As your tank gets more mature, the sand gets "heavier". If you are at the end of your cycle, you will start to notice the sand moving around less.

Man if thats to much I wonder what my 20 gal with a maxijet 1200 and a rio 800 and a hang on back filter would be. :)

In reality your probably at an ok level just that your sand as mentioned is currently still very light and has not settled in yet.

Back
Top Bottom