Too much current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwhite314

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just put in my first fish last week - a small green chromis. 30g, 45lbs lr, w/ hydor 2, protein skimmer and penguin mini. Fish looks healthy, is eating, and the watering readings are all fine. The poor thing looks like it is going to die from exhaustion swimming against the current when it is anywhere but a few peaceful spots in a corner or behind a rock. It this too much 'current' for the size tank? After a while of swimming against the current, it seems to give up and just drift off to whereever the hydro push it. It rests for a while then goes back into the current for another round.

No, you don't have too much flow, assuming that's a Koralia 2 your talking about. They swim against a much stronger current in the wild. What you are seeing sounds pretty normal to me.

In my tank the fish try to go through the current. Like they want to. I agree I think you are OK.

Good to know... I was going to ask the same question. I just hooked up a Koralia 3 in my 90g, and my sailfin tang.. (only fish in there) seems to get pushed around unless he can find a nice quiet spot. Not sure if this is normal or not. Mind you I also have an Eheim 2217 canister filled with liverock that is generating current, plus my wet/dry/protein skimmer that also dumps water back into the aquarium. I should make a video and see what everyone's responses are. For now I positioned the Koralia at the live rock at the back of the aquarium, and slightly against the back glass to tone down the water flow... still generating a lot of current, but it no longer looks like a storm in there.

I just hooked up a Koralia 3 in my 90g
In my 125 I have 2 K-4's, 2 K-3's, 1 K-1 plus my return pump. You don't have too much flow, in fact it's quite minimal if you are keeping coral.

Back
Top Bottom