Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

too much filtration I think!?

Ok I have a 55 gal w/ about 30lbs of lr a 4" dsb and about 40 lbs of base rock 2 powersweep 600s one in each corner and one small powerhead in the middle i had an emporer 400 biowheel hob but i got rid of that and added a wet dry filter rated for tanks up to 75 gal. Is this to much filtration with the lr dsb and bio balls? I havent gotten a protien skimmer yet will the skimmer really clear up my water as much as people say? My water is a little hazy as of right now but it was alot worse before i got the wet dry Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

what livestock is in the tank? i'd slowly pull the bio balls out and keep an eye on water quality of course

Old 07-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO the only thing you can overdo is skim.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

ya think ?? not sure about that imo
Old 07-09-2004, 12:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well yeah.. biological can't be overdone since the bacterial population will change depending on the bioload.. and I don't see any ill effects from running carbon 24/7.. but I do believe overskimming could make the water a bit too pure.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
i think it is impossible, but thats just me liek steve said bio balls need to be taken out slowly, plus they look weird
Old 07-09-2004, 06:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i think you need to look into a skimmer
Old 07-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

what livestock is in the tank? i'd slowly pull the bio balls out and keep an eye on water quality of course

well i have a pain in the *** damsel a bi colored angel a sabae clown with his anenome a cleaner wrasse and a royal gramma also 4 mex turbo snals 3 blue legged hermit crabs and 4 atl turbo snails

Also how can i get the damsel out without pulling everything out of the tank? the last time i did this i had a whole other cycle happen
Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chase the damsel into a rock and take the rock out with a net under it, damsel will drop out a couple seconds later...Now to get it in the right rock
Old 07-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Can anyone who says bio balls are bad tell me exactly where they got that info from? This seems to be such a common suggestion that people make. "Remove bio balls" Why is that? Was there a scientific study done somewhere that says they are not good to use?
I'm not promoting them, but in my 15 yrs of experience in running a wet/dry with bio balls in my tank I don't understand where this suggestion comes from that they are so bad. Regular water changes and maintanence keeps my nitrtates at zero or at least a level that can't be detected. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on biological filtration, but my experiences tell me if your having a nitrate problem, the cause is not the bio balls. Generally speaking, nitrates are added to the tank in excessive amounts by using water with a high nitrate level, excessive feedings, or adding chemicals which contain nitrates and these nitrates accumulate because of lack of maintanence or poor maintanence...as in making water changes with water containing nitrate to begin with.

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com