Too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the talk tell signs that your tank has too much flow? My sand is ripples in it. Is this a sigh that I need to cut a powerhead off?

image-1085617239.jpg

Too much flow in one spot will cause that but it may mean you don't have enough elsewhere. Try adjusting where powerheads are pointing.

Ok. I will try that, but that is what my entire sand bed looks like

I have a 50gal tank with two AC110 filters running on it and I have a circ pump on one end. I noticed none of my fish hang out on that side of the tank so I unplugged it today and they all seem much happier.

I have a 110 tall tank 48" x 18.5" x 31.5" and I bought 2 no name wave makers off amazon for $15 out the door and it says they are 1300gph each! I figured they would not live up to that so I got them. Should I unplug one?

Biocube 29. I have 2 koralia 425 nano powerheads on opposite sides, plus the return. Corals love it, but most of my fish don't swim around too much. The clowns do though

If you can adjust them so they aren't hitting the sand so much, do it. Point them more upwards if you can. If not, I guess you could unplug one. Where are they located exactly, and what direction are they pointed?

I'm having the same issue.... I just added sand and some rock and the power heads blow the sand around to the point of cloudiness.... I have 2 maxi jet 1200 power heads in a 29 gallon tank and I think it's just too much. I was going to see if more rock to break it up would help but since this thread was started ill just see what you folks think?!?! The maxi jet power heads also give the option of changing its configuration so it's more like a circulation pump, and I was going to try that to see if it calms it down any. What do you think?

Here is where I have them. Left one straight and other is pointed up a little

image-893214178.jpg

have you tried rearranging the PH to a different location and angle
how big are the PH
try moving one of PH forward a bit or even just turn it some towards the opposite corner

Try aiming them towards the front glass, and upwards. (and maybe move the powerheads down the tank a little bit?)

Are there any sort of markings on them at all that could tell us what kind they are? There might be attachments that you can add to customize the flow.

I'm having the same issue.... I just added sand and some rock and the power heads blow the sand around to the point of cloudiness.... I have 2 maxi jet 1200 power heads in a 29 gallon tank and I think it's just too much. I was going to see if more rock to break it up would help but since this thread was started ill just see what you folks think?!?! The maxi jet power heads also give the option of changing its configuration so it's more like a circulation pump, and I was going to try that to see if it calms it down any. What do you think?

2 maxijet 1200 in circulation mode are way too powerful for a 29 gal. I had 2 600's in my 65 and they were just right.

Think I am going to just buy a couple more but at a lower gph just to be safe. (Dunno why I am so worried about it haha.

I have a 110 tall tank 48" x 18.5" x 31.5" and I bought 2 no name wave makers off amazon for $15 out the door and it says they are 1300gph each! I figured they would not live up to that so I got them. Should I unplug one?

You should be fine with those. Like said before just play around with their placement. I have a 20L nano and have a little over 1000 gph all together and my corals are happy with the movement they're getting and my fish are always out and swimming in it

Ok I will mess with it a bit more. Because they are supplying most of the flow for the tank. My return is not super strong

Back
Top Bottom