Too Much Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.

I just recently added a powerhead with a flow rate of 175gph. My tank is 37 gal with 15# of LR and 20# of LS.

I plan it add maybe another 10# of LR and in 6-12mo I would like to have some anemomies and other small fun stuff. I was thinking of adding another powerhead. would this be too much flow? I am not sure what the filters flow is, but it doesn't seem to be too much. being a small tank, my fish selections will be small species, no more than 4- 4" fish when full.

Thanks

In a reef tank.. up to 20 cycles per hour of flow is advised.. thats up to 740gph.. so no.. thats not too much flow.. actually.. 15 cycles per hour would be around 550gph, so it might be a little on low side..

What you dont want is corals getting hammered with jet streams of current. You can easily have 20 times turnover per hour and not have your inhabitants feel like they are in the middle of a huricane. If you drop some flake food in the tank so it sinks the ideal current would spread the flake food all over the tank in random currents caused by having powerheads or other water current outputs at opposition.

Back
Top Bottom