too much light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ACreque

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
SO i am maturing the tank, waiting and waiting, today the light was on for about 13 hours or so....I went to work after school, anyway...the LR seens to have a little more Brown fuzz, as well as the substrate, is too much growth b/c of the lights? What is that stuff? im the guy with 29 gallon, seaclone 100, corallife 130 watts compact, emperor 400, and arag live, and 15lbs of live rock. so whats the deal i got in the tank?

Color and font size edited.
Logan J

I edited your font size and color...the small red just wouldn't show up. You gotta take it easy on us old farts with bad eyes :mrgreen: .
It sounds like you have diatoms which are a normal part of the cycle. If you have a good mix of snails and hermits (although you don't HAVE to have hermits), they will help with it. The diatom bloom will usually, assuming you have good water quality, burn itself out pretty quickly. 13 hours is about the upper limit on the light IMO...you might dial it back to 10 or so for now.

any specific kinds of snails and or hermits, i should look into, its a 30 gallon tank...How many can do the job of cleaning the brown love thats growing in it?

Scarlet or blue leg hermits.
Astrea, cerith, nerite, nassarius snails.
I usually have about 1 critter per gallon...some folks have more, some have less. What kind of water are you using? If it's tap water, you may be getting some silicate which will fuel the diatom bloom. Diatoms will usually burn themselves out in time.

Back
Top Bottom