Too much live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dpizarrojr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I recently decided to get serious about my aquarium hobby. I am at a point where I have a question. I have a 55 gallon tank and I just put in about 100# of live rock. Looking at the tank it seems like too much. I eventually want a reef tank. I would just like some input. Does it look crowded? Any comments would help. Thank you

image-1685156007.jpg

]

Attachments

• image-1685156007.jpg
    image-1685156007.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 137
Eh....ya i think thats too much. I like the look but it seems very crowded

It looks alright to me. I wouldn't put any fish over 3-4inches long inside that tank.

That's empty right? I like lots of rock personally, have to be careful though adding that much at once it could cause some deadly spikes in the parameters. Aesthetically speaking, maybe try stacking it more in the middle .

It looks good. I don't know if you are going to have many LPS but if you are you might want to open up a little sand bed. A 55 gallon tank is to narrow to do much with, I have one and wish all the time it was a 75 or 120 gallon lol

^^^agreed with how narrow a 55 is. But I had to pick one up at petco it was a dollar a gallon and 55 was the biggest they sold.

I personally like to have some "open water" starting with the highest point on one side tapering down to leave about 1/4 of the tank open with maybe some rock debris on the floor

I'd stack it a bit higher and keep it away from the side walls as it'll get really ugly looking there if you can't clean it. I've had rock as close to 2" from the top of the water. And try to stack some of so that you have big open holes in the rockscape

hello, welcome to the forum!!

I like alot of rock in my reef tanks so i think it looks ok as far as the amount. I would also say go higher with it and leave the sides open a bit more. :)

+1 for go higher with it

I have about 50 lbs of rock in my 55 and I wish I had added more. I think you have a great amount!

Wow thanks for the responses. It looks like the consensus is higher, not so close to the glass on the sides and leave an area in the middle. Thank you everyone for the advice. I will move things around as soon as I get home and I will post pics later.
Oh and yes the tank has water. It's been running for about 3 days with the rock and I'm not sure what kind of coral ill be using. I'm taking it step by step because I am new to this and don't want to get ahead of myself.

Again thank you again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom