Too much live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjh302

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there such a thing as too much live rock? There is about 160-200 pounds in my 96 gallon corner aquarium. There is very little sand bed showing and it's stacked to the top(about 3 inches from the water line).

If there isn't any room for your fish to swim then yes, it can be counter productive. In terms of additional filtration there isn't really a "too much" limit...many people fill sumps and refugiums with as much rock as they can fit into them.

You need to be sure the rock isn't stacked in such a way that flow can't go through it. If so, you'll end up with lots of detritus (uneaten food and fish poop) build up.
Without a pic and/or being there to see it, I would say that's bordering on too much.

You need to be sure the rock isn't stacked in such a way that flow can't go through it. If so, you'll end up with lots of detritus (uneaten food and fish poop) build up.
Without a pic and/or being there to see it, I would say that's bordering on too much.

Again I will def post pics tonight. It just looks like a lot to me. There are pretty big caves in it so I hope water flows through it.

Back
Top Bottom