too much protein skimming???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys and gals. Is there such a thing as too much protein skimming? Say for instance I buy a w/d filter / sump system with a skimmer already incorporated into it. I've read that those are crappy and don't work very well. I've also read that the BAk Pak and some other brand will work better. Could I run both of them at the same time? And will this make "too much" skimming?

Again, thanks for any replies. They've been most helpful.

No you really cannot overskim. The Bak Pak is an Ok skimemr but the Aqua C remora is by far better in terms of performance and maintenence requirements. You could run them both with no problems.

sump skimmers are supposed to be more efficient...that's just what I've heard.

The question here though is what size is the display tank? There's definitely a cut-off where HOB's just won't be enough, unless you double up, which is as expensive as getting a nice in-sump skimmer.
I think 55gal is as big as 1 CPR could handle...ditto for a similar size Remora.
But anyhow, tank size? Also FWIW my SW tank has no mechanical filtration, just powerheads, a skimmer and a hang on fuge.

I would build the sump and get either a CPR Bak Pak 2R and convert it for use in a sump, or get an Aqua C remora with the sump conversion package.

I own a CPR Bak Pak 2R and I really like it.

I have been told you can over skim removing needed nutrients as well as waste. Can't help with the w/d skimmer combo if any good.

Back
Top Bottom