Too much salt???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just added the water and salt to my first saltwater tank and it looks awfully cloudy...is this normal, and if so, how long should it last. I followed the directions on adding salt to a "T" and when I dropped the hydrometer in to the murky water, the lever rose to the top. Once again...is this normal? Thanks in advance.

are you mixing in a seperate container or directly to the tank? It is probably just the salt that is not yet dissolved. You should mix in a seperate container to be sure it is mixed through preferably with a powerhead. Once you have fish this wont be an option as undissolved salt will burn their gills. You will also have to get a heater to get the water to the correct temp before adding to your stocked tank.

I added salt and mixed thoroughly in a 2 gallon buket, then, poured into tank. Heater and Penguin 330 both on. Thanks for the response.

You need to let the salt mix with a PH in the bucket for 24 -48 hours. It should be clear by that time.

The high readings are either that it is too much salt or air bubbles stuck to the lever of your tester making it rise(tap it a few times). If you just added the highly concentrated 2 gal mix to a 55gal tank it will take a little time to even out.

I would look into getting a refractometer to check salinity. Hydrometers work but you will get tired of tapping bubbles off the pointer to get an accurate reading. Brand of salt also depends on how fast it will dissolve.

yeah I agree with everyone, just let the SW sit for about 3 to 4 days then check again. when you use the hydrometer, let the water fill the chamber slowly so not to get air bubbles on the swing arm. good luck

You should also get a testing container if you use a floating hydrometer, rather than dropping it into the tank. useing a glass hydrometer in the tank is a great way to break it and get glass shards all over the sand bed.

I too highly recommend a refractometer. You can find them for $40 online, plus shipping. Refractometer's aren't skewed by temperature, unlike hydrometers which are often calibrated to 60 degrees, so you have to adjust the reading.

certainly agree with everyone above but 2 points:

-- if you could oxygenate the water with pumps, the gravity will mix and balance out more quickly for you to get a more accurate reading

-- any light may hit the water and a balanced reading may also require some slight ionization

Back
Top Bottom