too much salt in tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhebi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
need some help, just started a 55gl but i believe the salt reading is too high, it passed the actual reading i need on the salt level

how can i lower? can someone help me...

thank you

Well IMO i would say it should work the same as topping up the water just add a little bit of water without any salt over periods of time to get the levels correct.

I am a newbie so just hang around until one of the experts can answer you.

If you dont have any inhabitants yet.. well.. change some water and put in some freshwater (like RO/DI water) to lower the salinity level. If you have critters thought it would have to be done slowly.. Im gathering you dont have anything yet though..

partial water change using dechlorinated FW. What are you using to check the salinity? Hydrometers can be very inaccurate. I used two different brands of hydrometers, both give different readings. I ended up taking a sample to the LFS and just doing an avg. of about 5 hydrometers total them marked my hydrometers so I know what they are actually reading.

Adding fresh water will fix the problem. Buy a refractometer. I do not mess with hydrometers. To much of a guessing game

just change the water and now the reading is 1.017 to 18

and i use a hydro....

and my readings are ph8, am 1.0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

i dont have anything just LR and LS...i just started the cycle 3 days ago...

how am i doing??? are the readings ok or no, if not any advise

thank you and sorry

Your salinity is actually kinda low. I believe 1.021-1.023 is pretty standard for fish only systems. A bit more if you go reef. You have time to adjust your salinity though. You can add a bit but I would hold off on water changes as they are gonna prolong your cycle some. You are ok for cycling and it looks like your progressing fine.

Back
Top Bottom