Took the plunge and purchased my fish tank and stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cayenne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After careful research and much thought, I purchased a 16gal bow front glass tank as my starter SW build (picture attached).

Here is what I purchased so far:
Canister filter hanging outside
Ocean water (20 gal)
Sand (real) 40 pounds
Submersible heater
Digital thermometer
Gravel 10 pounds ( more decorative than anything)
Bucket for water changes

Items to purchase:

Please take a look at the list below and let me know if anything is missing:

Protein skimmer
Powerhead ?
Air stone?
Hydrometer
Master testing kit
Live rock
Siphon w/vacuum
Net
Algae cleaner for glass
Gloves
Power strip

I have a lovely conch shell from beach in the Carribean, can I use it in the tank? Thoughts? Suggestions? I can barely contain myself, but I know I'm a long way from adding fish, but the few fish I can actually keep in this small tank will be carefully selected, I need feedback from all! Thanks a mil :)

Attachments

• image-1322172169.jpg
    image-1322172169.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1914082877.jpg
    image-1914082877.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 96
200 gallon reef said:
What type of saltwater tank do u want?

+1 do you want corals or are you gonna stick with fowlr (fish only with live rock). The shell will be fine to add too.

FOWLR, I need to learn more for corals. Someday, perhaps.

Ok well for a tank this size a skimmer isn't a must (always good to have though) but a refractometer is instead of a hydrometer

After careful research and much thought, I purchased a 16gal bow front glass tank as my starter SW build (picture attached).

Here is what I purchased so far:
Canister filter hanging outside
Ocean water (20 gal)
Sand (real) 40 pounds
Submersible heater
Digital thermometer
Gravel 10 pounds ( more decorative than anything)
Bucket for water changes

Items to purchase:

Please take a look at the list below and let me know if anything is missing:

Protein skimmer
Powerhead ?
Air stone?
Hydrometer
Master testing kit
Live rock
Siphon w/vacuum
Net
Algae cleaner for glass
Gloves
Power strip

I have a lovely conch shell from beach in the Carribean, can I use it in the tank? Thoughts? Suggestions? I can barely contain myself, but I know I'm a long way from adding fish, but the few fish I can actually keep in this small tank will be carefully selected, I need feedback from all! Thanks a mil :)

Basically out of your list, the only thing you don't need is an airstone. That is more of a freshwater thing, though some people do use them it isn't necessary. You will be creating water movement with a powerhead or 2, which will then bring oxygen into your system.

I would also return the gravel. It will all sink and you won't ever see it after some time...but also freshwater gravels are painted. This will be eroded by saltwater and then you'll have all the chemicals and such in your water, probably killing your fish.

As for your conch shell. I'd boil it or bleach it first to make sure there isn't anything on it. It might not be the typical saltwater look, but it is doable and people do not have issues with it when done correctly.

Just returned from my shopping trip with supplies in hand plus soooo every expensive live rock. Went down to Pacific Aquariums, awesome place. They had 2 batfish what beauties and a tank full of seahorses, all manner of sea life, invert, fresh, salt, etc. If anyone lives in NYC area, they should def check them out. Exhausted but happy. Thanks for all the advice. Now on to step 2. Stay tuned :)

Done, finally!! Very raw pics, I'm memorized already :). Next, cycling.....

Attachments

• image-2348522422.jpg
    image-2348522422.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3790980476.jpg
    image-3790980476.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1998771198.jpg
    image-1998771198.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 84
Actually 6 pounds, I really need 10 more pounds, can I mix rock from somewhere else? I think I can get a better price.

Ya you can use all different kinds. Tonga branch would look good in a small setup like yours

Hmmm, I was thinking about something branchy to fill the empty vertical space, didnt know about tonga, more research to do...thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom