Tool for manual removal of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently fighting an algae problem that I consider massive but others would consider moderate. It is in my sand bed. what do I use to manually remove the algae from the sand bed. A vacuum doesn't seem to do a good enough job and a turkey baster gets clogged with sand quickly. I know the problem and it has been corrected but I will not allow my tank to look bad for even a day.

SG 1.024
PH 8.3
NH4 0
N-ITE 0
N-ATE <5
PHOS 0 (now)

Since I have corrected the phosphate and overfeeding problem how long should it take until I see the red and green algae go away.

BTW - I now see how 0 nitrates is possible:D

I have one of magnets that you can get from the pet store. mine is called the maga float but there are other brands nextag.com have them for 7.99 to 10.99.cleaner. i relly like mine. i hope this helped.

Personally I just rake my sand bed, it doesn't get rid of it but it makes it look loads better

Many test kits provide NH3/4 results as well as solely NH3. It's what allows you to get an accurate reading even though you are using a product like Prime. Free vs ionized, toxic vs not.

What's NH?

I think he just forgot the "3".
I would look at getting some sand sifting inverts like nassarius snails. The bacteria (cyano) and algae should burn off if the excess nutrient problem is resolved in a day to a few days.
I have not had success with additional water flow to the area once the cyano had taken hold, but once I got rid of mine, I did add additional flow to alleviate the dead spots and that helped.

...what do I use to manually remove the algae from the sand bed. A vacuum doesn't seem to do a good enough job and a turkey baster gets clogged with sand quickly. ...

I'm guessing you're talking about cyanobacteria in your sand bed? If so, just use a siphon hose and siphon the cyano out, along with the sand around it. Only way to get it out is to take some sand with it.

Well actually, i have found that you could use something like a fish net.. or something with holes that are fine enough to let sand through, but nothing else. This is what i used to get alot of junk out of my tank. I just skimmed the sand with a fish net and absolutely everything that wasn't sand, got caught in the net. You could try this..?

Back
Top Bottom