Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

top offs

I need an auto top off! What are these and where can I get one?!

Also when I do top off the tank from evaporation do I need to change water? I know I don't add salt because it stays In the tank and that why we gotta top off too. So changed and fluncutions in the salinity and ph don't happen??

Any input helps! Thanks guys!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have a cover on the tank? if not covers are best to use so that you con't get much water loss, also placing one on your sump helps too. your top off would have to be on the return section of your sump if thats your means of filtration. if not its just added clutter and a well fitted cover will work fine.

i had problems with evaporation, i would loss a gallon to a gallon and a half a week, once i made a full plexiglass cover with minimal gaps around my filters and wires i can get to my next PWC with next to no water loss and a stable salinity.

as for as water changes you'll still have to do the same change, when water evaporates like the salt the polutants stay in the water makign the concentration higher in the remainign water

Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adding top off water will not replace water changes. You should still do regular WC

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys! But maybe some misuderstanding....

I'm not seeing if just these top offs will do... I still preform water changes bi weekly.

I'm asking every time I do a top off should I also need to do a small WTC? Or would it be fine to just top off and wait to do a WTC when I do my bi weekly WTC.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
do you have a cover on the tank? if not covers are best to use so that you con't get much water loss, also placing one on your sump helps too. your top off would have to be on the return section of your sump if thats your means of filtration. if not its just added clutter and a well fitted cover will work fine.

i had problems with evaporation, i would loss a gallon to a gallon and a half a week, once i made a full plexiglass cover with minimal gaps around my filters and wires i can get to my next PWC with next to no water loss and a stable salinity.

as for as water changes you'll still have to do the same change, when water evaporates like the salt the polutants stay in the water makign the concentration higher in the remainign water
I don't have a cover on the tank! I have a DYI canopy with two 175w metal hilides. Id have to do some mods to it for a versa top lid (whish is what id want if I were to get a lid) u suggest buying
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

(Suggust buying) - plexi glass? (From where) and cut to cover tank top? I was going to add a top but was chatting with some guy that owned an LFS in the same state as I and he said that having lids causes fluncuations in water perameters??
Old 03-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

There is no need for you to do a water change when you add top off water just add the needed amount of freshwater to the tank.
If you are adding a lot of water over the period of a few days I would recommend getting an ATO.
I evap. Close to 2 gallons per day on just one of my tanks. Not having an ATO in my case would be a real pain.
I am not a big fan of having a cover on a tank but if I did I would just go with glass.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

glass won't bend as much yeah but plexiglass is more fkexable and won't shatter in the tank. i also have a bow face so it was alot easier to cut then glass, if i had a box tank it would be easier to use glass

i bought a sheet at home depot and cuz it to size
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would rather have the auto top-off than cover the tank. i like the gas exchange that an open top tank affords. a good supply of fresh air to the water surface is a good thing.

just google "auto top off" if you need one. i like the JBJ ATO myself.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Don't do the glass or plexigalss top. And I too own a JBJ auto top-off unit and love it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com