Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Top or no top?

Hello everyone,

Well I have asked a lot of questions in the getting started forum, but my system is near running perfectly. I do however want some advice on wether to put on my glass tops or not. I have two 48" PCs on the tank that pretty much cover up 95% of the aquarium anyhow. (I can get inside the tank just fine no matter how ridiculous that sounds) My question is if I should add the glass tops. Is there any questions I should be asking myself to help make the decision, etc.

Thanks everyone!

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Are the PC fixtures sitting on the tank? I might be concerned about the effects of SW on the fixtures. I usually don't necessarily recommend tops on a system, but if the fixtures are real close to the water surface, then corrosion is a factor and I might use them. With the tops on it...your liable to find it difficult to keep the water cool.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
After losing at least 1 (maybe 2) fish due to them leaping out of the tank, I am now for tops. But let me add that I would use a completely sealed type top that usually comes with the tanks or setups. I'm a big proponent of gas exchange and I would recommend using some kind of homemade screen cover that allows for gas exchange and light transmission but will keep critters from leaping to certain doom.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think gas exchange would be a problem if you were to completely seal the top of the tank. I have heard of people using a plastic material called eggcrate to cover their tanks. I think you can get sheets of the stuff at a home improvement center and cut it to the size of your tank. It will help keep fish from leaping out of the tank and will also allow gass exchange. It almost looks like the stuff plastic milk crates are made out of, it has little holes cut into the plastic; I wanna say they are about the size of a dime?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't really expect a problem with the fish leaping out because the lights keep the majority of the tank covered, however they are only about one 1 - 1.5 inches off the water surface,however there are no bubbles or anything up there, all the evap is and bubbling is happening in the sump. Not sure if I would have a corrosion problem or not.

-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
all the evap is and bubbling is happening in the sump
Evaporation is occurring anywhere there is air and water interface, it is only noticable in the sump

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good point. Both lights do have a protective lense on them, however I could take extra care to maintain the lights. More important to take more care of the lights and have an open top, or to just close it for the lights? I am buying an algae pack that consists of a dozen+ snails as well. Is that something to consider with an open top?

Old 01-18-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the same lighting setup and had glass cut to fit the top of my tank leaving a 1 1/2 inch space along the back. This leaves room for good air exchange and my hang on skimmer. As for the heat problem, I live in central MN. Right now it is -18F !!! In the summer, we hit 95F max. So I don't have to worry about to much heat. lololol

Howard
Old 01-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wouldn't put a top on if i were u....salt just builds up on it and it restricts light from ur aqauarium. Gas exchange is also better without a top.....

As long as ur lights cover at least 70% of the top....you're FINE!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #10

I vote for no top too... Will be better for the gas exchange...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com