Top or no top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone,

Well I have asked a lot of questions in the getting started forum, but my system is near running perfectly. I do however want some advice on wether to put on my glass tops or not. I have two 48" PCs on the tank that pretty much cover up 95% of the aquarium anyhow. (I can get inside the tank just fine no matter how ridiculous that sounds) My question is if I should add the glass tops. Is there any questions I should be asking myself to help make the decision, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Are the PC fixtures sitting on the tank? I might be concerned about the effects of SW on the fixtures. I usually don't necessarily recommend tops on a system, but if the fixtures are real close to the water surface, then corrosion is a factor and I might use them. With the tops on it...your liable to find it difficult to keep the water cool.

After losing at least 1 (maybe 2) fish due to them leaping out of the tank, I am now for tops. But let me add that I would use a completely sealed type top that usually comes with the tanks or setups. I'm a big proponent of gas exchange and I would recommend using some kind of homemade screen cover that allows for gas exchange and light transmission but will keep critters from leaping to certain doom.

I think gas exchange would be a problem if you were to completely seal the top of the tank. I have heard of people using a plastic material called eggcrate to cover their tanks. I think you can get sheets of the stuff at a home improvement center and cut it to the size of your tank. It will help keep fish from leaping out of the tank and will also allow gass exchange. It almost looks like the stuff plastic milk crates are made out of, it has little holes cut into the plastic; I wanna say they are about the size of a dime?

I don't really expect a problem with the fish leaping out because the lights keep the majority of the tank covered, however they are only about one 1 - 1.5 inches off the water surface,however there are no bubbles or anything up there, all the evap is and bubbling is happening in the sump. Not sure if I would have a corrosion problem or not.

Good point. Both lights do have a protective lense on them, however I could take extra care to maintain the lights. More important to take more care of the lights and have an open top, or to just close it for the lights? I am buying an algae pack that consists of a dozen+ snails as well. Is that something to consider with an open top?

I have the same lighting setup and had glass cut to fit the top of my tank leaving a 1 1/2 inch space along the back. This leaves room for good air exchange and my hang on skimmer. As for the heat problem, I live in central MN. Right now it is -18F !!! In the summer, we hit 95F max. So I don't have to worry about to much heat. lololol

Howard

I wouldn't put a top on if i were u....salt just builds up on it and it restricts light from ur aqauarium. Gas exchange is also better without a top.....

As long as ur lights cover at least 70% of the top....you're FINE! :D

Back
Top Bottom