Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You my want to consider draining as much water as possible.... Not only do you have a ticking time bomb on your hands, if it stays bowed for too long, the tank will be permanently mis formed and even if you do get a new top trim, you won't be able to fit it on.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is the strap total missing? Or just cracked down the middle? I read somewhere that you can take a piece of a smiliar plastic strip and superglue it on the underside.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drain that tank now before you lose it! try to get it down to at least half way to be safe 3/4 in is a lot

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
You my want to consider draining as much water as possible
I'd suggest at least 50%!!!
My 55 gal did the same thing a few weeks ago... it's really nerve-wracking. I fixed mine myself though. I went to a local metal shop and bought 1/8" thick stainless steel about an inch wide, and 2 inches longer than the width of my aquarium. I then got a friend to bend an inch at either end on a 90 degree angle to make a very sturdy bracket to fit over the tank where the support brace was broken. You might have problems finding someone who can bend stainless steel... but if you can find someone this is a very cheap fix that will last awhile. You can see an inch of metal on the front, but I'd rather that than a broken tank with many many gallons of water on the floor!! Good luck
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Fish R friends, not food!

If you can still replace the trim www.glasscages.com sells the trim. All you need is the dimensions of the tank. You need to get that fixed ASAP! On the left side of the home page under Misc. are tank frames. You may have to call them and find out if they have the one for your tank.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
You my want to consider draining as much water as possible.... Not only do you have a ticking time bomb on your hands, if it stays bowed for too long, the tank will be permanently mis formed and even if you do get a new top trim, you won't be able to fit it on.
Tell me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataft83 View Post
Is the strap total missing? Or just cracked down the middle? I read somewhere that you can take a piece of a smiliar plastic strip and superglue it on the underside.
Not missing, and broke right next to the back piece so nothing to glue to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Drain that tank now before you lose it! try to get it down to at least half way to be safe 3/4 in is a lot
Not really an option, the water barely covers the live rock now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyfitz.xx View Post
My 55 gal did the same thing a few weeks ago... it's really nerve-wracking. I fixed mine myself though. I went to a local metal shop and bought 1/8" thick stainless steel about an inch wide, and 2 inches longer than the width of my aquarium. I then got a friend to bend an inch at either end on a 90 degree angle to make a very sturdy bracket to fit over the tank where the support brace was broken. You might have problems finding someone who can bend stainless steel... but if you can find someone this is a very cheap fix that will last awhile. You can see an inch of metal on the front, but I'd rather that than a broken tank with many many gallons of water on the floor!! Good luck
Thanks, that's a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
If you can still replace the trim www.glasscages.com sells the trim. All you need is the dimensions of the tank. You need to get that fixed ASAP! On the left side of the home page under Misc. are tank frames. You may have to call them and find out if they have the one for your tank.
Tried them, not only do they NOT have a 60" top, they wanted to sell me a tank, but they wanted me to buy a "reef ready" tank and not what I want. Plus if you get a chance go to their website and read their warranty. Basicly if you don't follow their directions to the letter they void your warranty. Shoot, even goes as far as to say that you can't use a "home made" stand on their tanks or it voids the warranty. My stand although home made is sturdy enough to handle anything, I built it, got on top of it and jumped up and down a bunch to make sure it was safe. And that was before adding the sides and front. They lost that sale.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

If you can't drain the water, I'd suggest borrowing (or buying if necessary) some bar clamps to help relieve some pressure. Set them up on either side of the brace and SLOWLY tighten them until the bowing is gone. When I say slowly, I mean reallyyyy slowly... the last thing you want is to push the frame back too quickly causing it to let go:| Also, make sure the bar clamps have rubber pads on the ends to prevent damage to the glass!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
I tried them for a brace for my tank it's 16 bucks for the brace but $45 dollars in shipping.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyfitz.xx View Post
Thanks to the suggestion above, I got a piece of Alumium strap and bent it to the correct (or close enough) lenght, clamped the aquarium and closed the gap just a little (I don't care if it's bowed a little as long as it stays put) and placed this strap on the tank and super glued it in place. waiting for glue to dry before removing clamp.

Hopefully disaster has been diverted long enough for me to find a tank to replace this one with.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Now you have a bowfront tank if you got 3/4" bowing on a 60", imagine what it would be like on a 72 lol

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com