Top strap broken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard anything more than 1/8" bowing really strains the silicone... so if it's bowing more than that, I'd remove the aluminium and clamp it closed some more. Otherwise, you've wasted your time!!

I've heard anything more than 1/8" bowing really strains the silicone... so if it's bowing more than that, I'd remove the aluminium and clamp it closed some more. Otherwise, you've wasted your time!!

Well thanks for the sour grapes. I figure it was bowing @ 3/4+ and now it just over 1/4 so I do not feel I wasted my time.

On a side note Super glue will NOT bond plastic and alumium. Had to break out the 2 part epoxy.

Have you considered building a trim piece yourself? You could make it out of steel or aluminum...although aluminum isn't the easiest to weld.

I have seen people drill the top and create a new brace from clear acrylic, then use white nylon fasteners.

I have seen people drill the top and create a new brace from clear acrylic, then use white nylon fasteners.

Not enough plastic material left that's not cracked to drill/ tap or any thing else.

The strap seems to be holding for now.:whistle:

Well problem solved. Can't find a top frame for my tank anywhere, but did find a tank at petsmart for 379.99, but....... if I get their "bonus card" and use it the tank will only cost me 303.99. So that's the way I'm going.

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions.

OK, here is my plan of action.

I am picking up a 55 gal and setting it up as a SW tank to put most of the LR and the fish in, along with the live sand out of the sump.

Then I will get a big can to put the rest of the rock and sand into, along with as much water as I can salvage.

Replace the tank, reload with sand water and the live rock out of the can.

:banghead:Start the cycling process all over again since I am disturbing the sand bed (been there for years).:banghead:

I will be leaving the fish corals and remaining live rock in the 55 gal until the main tank is stable again.

Did I leave anything out?

Most def, a good rule of thumb is unless its severely broken, don't ever toss out a tank...even if ya get a small amount for it, its still more than ya had

yes it can still serve as a reptile tank

Most def, a good rule of thumb is unless its severely broken, don't ever toss out a tank...even if ya get a small amount for it, its still more than ya had

Had not thought of that. Well I found a 55 gal tank and stand for 60.00, 100 lbs of sand for 50.00.

Now I get to set up the 55 and get it stable, then transfer stuff to it, then I can take the other one down.

Good grief this is a lot of work:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom